Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female vs Male paramesotriton

J

jesper

I'd really appreciate if someone could provide female vs male paramesotriton pics so that one could train on identifying them on morphology.
Also comparing series of chinensis, hongkongensis and fuzhongensis would be splendid. On the other hand how many has the pleasure to have all three species eh?
Also fuzhongensis vs guanxiensis would be awesome even though I've given up on that one
happy.gif

I'll try to get some good shots of my fuzhongensis males.

J

jesper

Nice animals Juraj, these are the ones you bred I suppose(Chris got some eggs..).
Which temperatures do you use to make them breed?

Y

yago

Hi Jesper
Hi Juraj ;) Few days for Gerstfelt..hehe
Well, as juraj know I got p. chinensis, p. hongkongensis and p.fuzhongensis and other paramesotriton species...I will get some pics of those requested species by the end of this week.
Best greetings
Yago

J

jennifer

Nice hongkongensis, Juraj. I found with my hongkongs that outside of breeding season there was absolutely NO difference between the male and female. The cloacas and colors were identical. Actually, there were some behavior differences, but that's not enough for a "diagnosis".

J

jesper

Ciao,
Great Yago!
My fuzhongensis males have had tail sheens for 6 months now, sometimes more sometimes less but it is always there to some extent.

J

juraj

Hi all

Jesper I didn`t do anything special to get them breed. Night temperature was 12-15 °C and 18°C during the day. No lightning except daylight photoperiod and no filter so no "current water".
Yago reading this thread I was thinking about your other paramesos species
happy.gif

Jenn I agree outside of breeding season is pretty difficult especially if you don`t have more specimen to compare. There are some slight differences anyway.

C

chris

Thhis is a crude (powerpoint) drawing of the vents of, from top to bottom,

1)female out of breeding condition - Slightly triangular cloaca, which DOES NOT extend between legs when viewed from the side, longer, lower tail in relation to body size. Females are larger and more robust than males, (and have rougher skin in fuzhongensis).

2)Female in breeding condition - the same, but cloaca is a higher triangle.

3) Male out of breeding condition. Cloaca flat, but does not become thinner before going between legs, shorter higher tail in relation to body size. Males are smaller than females. There iis usually a very light sheen on a male outside of the breeding season.

4) Male in breeding season - swollen cloaca, which show papillae when courting, heavy sheen on tail - differs in extent between species.

Hope this helps
Chris
23442.jpg

J

jesper

Hi Juraj,
How do you get the temp down so low? Do you keep them outside?
Can you post a pic of your breeding tank?

B

benjamin

Hey maybe I don't have three different types of newt after all. I was thinking because my greenish newt was smoother and shinier than the other one it was a different species, now it seems I could have a male and female fuzhongensis as I thought a couple days ago. The differences outside the breeding season seem to apply to my newts.

J

jesper

New day, new conclusion eh?
I think your green one is a male, based on body form. I'd say you got one hongkongensis male and two fuzhongensis, if you want me to guess that is ;)

B

benjamin

I'm going to get Pete's newt sometime soon which I'm pretty sure is a fuzhongensis then I might have a male hongkongensis and two fuhzongs. Currently I only have three newts, in the three species theory I have a male honkongensis, a fuzhong, and a male caudo. In the two species theory I have a male fuzhong, a female fuzhong, and a male caudo.

J

jesper

Oh, I thought you had Pete's newt already and I forgot about the caudo
happy.gif

B

benjamin

I have Pete's newt now, it's quite a nice animal, he and I both think it looks like a female. I know this is a bit off topic, but I finnaly bought a Cynops orienatlis
talker.gif
, from the same store as the one I bought the warty newts, It was being kept with a young spanish ribbed newt, so I think I saved its life. Unfortunately there is something wrong with one of its eyes
sad.gif
possibly midway in regeneration after being eaten by its tankmate. This just goes to show that the store doesn't know what its keeping.

B

benjamin

The newt I expect to be a male's cloaca has grown over the last day.

C

chris

That's a good sign of health, and could also indicate its not fuzhongensis, which breed in Springtime, according to Henri Jansens.
Chris

B

benjamin

My male caudo (who's in a seperate aquarium) also has a swollen cloaca, despite his nose problem and the fact he hasn't eaten in several days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1