Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton

M

mark

Hey all
I aqcuired a few Paramesotriton honkongensis a few days ago. But these 2 don't seem to be hongkongensis and I can't identify them. Wich paramesotritons do you think these are? If the pics aren't good enough I will try to post better ondes in a few days. Thanks

Animal 1
19610.jpg

19611.jpg

Animal 2
19612.jpg

19613.jpg

Greets Mark

C

chris

Mark
Do they both have the lumpy dorsal ridge and high cranial ridges? These features, along with the smooth skin indicate hongkongensis. Have you got any sideons of Animal 1? If you could get better lit photos, it would be helpful.
Chris

(Message edited by froggy on August 15, 2004)

M

mark

Hey

I'll try to post a few better pics in a couple of days, I believe one of them is hongkongensis. But I'm still not sure about the others.

Greets
Mark

H

henk

Do they have little yellow points somewhere on the body ? E.g. close to the attachments points of extremities with the corpse ?? They are quite dark to be P. chinensis , but maybe ???
Try to make the future shots while placing the animals on something less white so (a grey or green background) and eventually shoot them without flash. I get the impression that the belly of animal one (number 2 doesn't show up) is quite plae in color which normally refers to P.chinensis but ... it's best to be carefull without other shots...and since I have not been working with Paramesotritons for a while I may be getting rusty.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1