Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My pair of S.s.salamandra

Lorrio

Reaction score
Hi!

Here you have some pictures from my two less than a year age Salamandra salamandra salamandra. They are my firsts urodeleans and I think that they are very well. The diet consists basically in earthworms. I´ve some difficults to obtain other food but this is the best. They are growing more faster than I was thinking.
Without doubt, an amazing animals.

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11282-s-s-salamandra1.jpg

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11283-s-s-salamandra2.jpg

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11284-s-s-salamandra3.jpg

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11286-s-s-salamandra5.jpg

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11287-s-s-salamandra6.jpg

Eating a earthworm

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11285-s-s-salamandra4.jpg

And the last, the terrarium. Now is a few small because they are small too, but with the time both will grow.

lorrio-albums-s-s-salamandra-picture11288-terrario-salamandras.jpg

I hope you like it.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
S.salamandra is the king of caudates xD
Very nice tank, too, although i would perhaps add some stacked bark for additional hiding areas, or maybe more leaf-litter (just to make sure they have plenty of hiding options, since they can be mildly territorial).

Muy majas las salamandras ;)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Lovely pictures. I am presently setting up a tank for some new additions , so your post has helped me a lot. What kind of lid do you use?

Lorrio

Reaction score
OK. I´m very glad that you like them.

AZHAEL, you have reson, some adicional hiding areas maybe would necessary. In my next visit to the forest for "hunt" eartworms I´ll give to home some pieces of bark.

BELLABELOO about the kind of lid that I use, well this terrarium in fact is for corn snakes. Above it have a metalic net with small holes. The door is at the front, and is a single glass that you can to take away to pulling down it. The ilumination is above the metallic net. I thing that is a Exoterra terrarium, but I´m not sure. I like very much this terrarium, is perfect for my "babes".

I´m very happy that you like it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1