Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: A 12+ year old Cynops orientalis newt has white in his eye. We're worried sick.

Vakuoli

Reaction score
Me and my ex have two little chinese firebelly newt darlings, Tiu and Tau, who we love above anything else in the world. Now Tiu has developed what might be a problem with his/her eye. My ex tells me that Tiu's one eye has white in it. It's a new thing, appeared only recently. We don't know what to do or what is going on. Can newts develop cataract? Is he/she going blind? Should we take him/her to a vet? Can they do anything? Might Tiu be in pain? Or is this normal for an aging newt?

My ex tells me that Tiu is acting normally. He/she is active and interested and has a healthy appetite just as always. He just fed Tiu and Tau nightcrawlers tonight and it seemed to him that Tiu could see also with the eye with the white in it. But we're very worried about our poor little darling.

We don't know how old firebellies generally live, we've just wanted to think Tiu and Tau will live forever because we love them so much and the thought of either of them dying just hurts like hell. It's been 12 years now since they were bought from a pet shop to their first family, we adopted them in 2010 and this is the first time there has ever been anything wrong with either of them and we're sadly clueless about how to deal with this.

Thank you so, so much for any help and advice you can offer.

Vakuoli

Reaction score
I made an appointment with a vet who specializes in amphibians and other exotic animals. Sadly she's all booked up until friday, but since Tiu is eating well and is active and doesn't seem to be suffering we think he'll be able to hang in there until then. Should his/her condition acutely worsen before friday's appointment, we'll take him to a general vet.

I attached a picture.

I did a search here on the site in case this topic had been discussed earlier. I did not get this search result then, my search terms being too general perhaps, but after reading this thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...p/52787-cynops-orientalis-eye-affliction.html about a Chinese firebelly newt with white in his eye I'm not so panicked anymore. Chances are this is merely an eye infection which is treatable and Tiu will go on to live for many many years more.

Attachments

• VID-20161004-WA0015.mp4_000000544.jpg
    VID-20161004-WA0015.mp4_000000544.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 277

Vakuoli

Reaction score
Late update, but a trip to the exotic pets vet and a course of treatment with antibiotic eyedrops fixed Tiu's eye right up and he was quickly back to his old self again.

Jensino

Reaction score
I am glad to read that your newt recovered. :happy:

Chances are this is merely an eye infection which is treatable and Tiu will go on to live for many many years more.

In "Salamanders: keeping and breeding" there is a picture of a 40 years+ old Cynops pyrrhogaster. So chances are good that Tiu will live on for a looong time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!