Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl has a swollen mouth

Axolotlgirl18

Reaction score
Yesterday I got home to find my axolotl laying upside down at the bottom of the tank. I gently turned him over and he’s still alive, but very weak and his mouth looks puffed out or swollen as if he’s trying to swallow something. I’ve checked and there’s nothing stuck in it. I changed his water immediately and he now has clean water and is in the fridge as it’s been hot lately. Any advice?
I’m new to the site so I can’t tell if I uploaded the photos of him correctly. If I did, it’s just some brine shrimp in the water that will be cleaned out (it was added after the water change)

Murk

Reaction score
Oof, this sounds bad. Laying upside down is not a good sign. Is he able to keep upright by now?

The pictures didn't work; if you can manage to upload those, that might help.

Furthermore: does the axolotl seem bloated (more round than normal) or maybe thinner than usual?

Has he eaten well the past days (and if you know: pooped well)?

Did you take water parameters before changing it all? Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are always good to know.

Axolotlgirl18

Reaction score
Sometimes he can stay upright, every now and then I find him in his side or back. Once I set him right he seems fine. He seems swollen around the front part of his body but not the back part. He’s been off his food a bit but during summer that’s normal for him. And no idea about the poop situation. Unfortunately I don’t have access to any test kits to check the water. I’ve tried to attach the pics to this message, I think I was more successful this time

Attachments

• B843888A-9BA6-44EA-B775-3D33EB331DAE.jpg
    B843888A-9BA6-44EA-B775-3D33EB331DAE.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 393
  • 9E6BAEE9-78C8-41ED-A394-9AE88CA6576B.jpg
    9E6BAEE9-78C8-41ED-A394-9AE88CA6576B.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 232

Axolotlgirl18

Reaction score
Please I’m still looking for help. My axolotl is moving around much better and seems happier but won’t eat. His face is still swollen and now the little bump under is tail -the cochlea I think- has swollen to two big bumps. There’s also a bit of a white substance in the water every now and then

Tomacine

Reaction score
my axolotl has a swollen jaw as well his mouth won't close and he won't eat... i changed the water and gave him a sea salt bath today for 15 minutes in hop a s that he will get better.. however he is not eating at all

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
That is likely an infection and needs vet treatment. I have heard the same presenting complaint a few times from my vet friend.

my axolotl has a swollen jaw as well his mouth won't close and he won't eat... i changed the water and gave him a sea salt bath today for 15 minutes in hop a s that he will get better.. however he is not eating at all

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1