Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help: Mixing H2O? Mosquito Larvae?

VolatileXIII

Reaction score
I've been wondering if setting a bucket of water outside to collect mosquito larvae & micro-food is a good idea for supplying live food for my guppy tank.

What would happen if I added water from the bucket or my pond to my tank?

I'm new to all this, I usually keep reptiles.

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
If you fill the bucket with clean water, then there shouldn't be a problem with collecting mosquito larvae that way, just be careful to feed them to your fish before they turn into adults. Pond water may be a problem because you could bring in unwanted pathogens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I do this every year and it is a great source for free food!

If you use the water you remove from your tank during water changes it will attract the mosquitos much quicker than just plain ole water.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Just be careful. In many places allowing mosquitoes to propigate is against the law. I used to collect them with brine shrimp nets, but due to the flooding here they made it in the house and added themselves to my daphnia tubs on their own. Got so bad I had to turn a few Betta splendens loose in my tubs to wipe them out.

VolatileXIII

Reaction score
The bucket wasn't covered initially.

I was checking on it a few days ago and noticed a mouse had gotten into it & drowned, so instead of risking the possibility of transmitting bacterial or disease from the mouse, I emptied the entire culture of larvae into the grass and cleaned out the bucket.

Now I'm starting over, I've had water in the bucket for a few days, a green "algae" has overtaken the bucket where it's in constant contact with water.

I've also put a screen over the top of the bucket after letting it collect a day or so.

I see alot of them in there, what's the best way to get them out? I'm assuming a fishnet works fine?

Also, can I simply put the live larvae in my guppy tank? I'm not sure about feeding the larvae to my Chinensis. Just incase.

Any help?

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!