Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby woodlice, after a long wait

Yahilles

Reaction score
I made it too - 2 moths ago i put to my empty terrarium some woodlice, and yesterday, between the springtails, i spotted baby woodlice!
tank:
mchariumc1.jpg

babies (sorry for the quality) :
pro22.jpg

pro11.jpg

eyrops

Reaction score
I have successfully cultured these critters once. It was with corrugated cardboard, much like the method described by taherman. I had brought in a piece of cardboard with a mycelium growing on it to see if I could grow out the mycelium and see what it was. I introduced the woodlice (which may have been a conflict of interest!) to see if they would do well in the same setup. As it turned out, both did fine. The mycelium developed into a tree ear fungus, and the isopods reproduced. I'm not sure if they were feeding on the mycelium, or the cardboard, or something else. I thought of this thread today when I saw a kit for raising isopods at the Carolina biological supply company site: http://www.carolina.com/product/143050.do

-Steve Morse

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!