Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growing gill fluff

AgonyRose

Reaction score
Are growing gills a sign that my axie is healthy? I have been so worried and paranoid about raising my little axie right. I have owned large ones before but most of them werent the healthiest when I recieved them. This one is the first one I have purchased from a breeder and the first baby one I have ever had. I have only had him for 2 weeks and in this time he has grown tremendously. His overall size is much larger and his gill fluff is at least twice the size it was when I got him. They seem much fluffier and feathery too where before they were just kind of spiky. Is this a good sign? I just want him to be happy and healthy

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me, I think. When you say gill "fluff", you mean just the normal pink or red branches of the gills, right? You don't mean that the gills are growing fluffy white gunk?

AgonyRose

Reaction score
Yes. I am talking about the feathery part of the gills. There isnt any sign of cottony looking growths or anything. I was just completely amazed at how quickly he is growing all together. How fast do they usually get to full size? Its only been about 2 weeks and he is at least double the size

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you feeding him, Miracle Grow? Just kidding, they grow VERY fast at that stage, nothing to worry about! With good feeding they can reach nearly full size at 5-6 months after hatching. The first couple of months growth is slower, but he was probably past that stage before you got him.

AgonyRose

Reaction score
Wow. Its amazing to watch these little guys grow. I'm having a really great time with this one. My past experiences with axies have just been disappointing but I finally did some research and decided to buy from a breeder instead of local pet stores. It is very satisfying to have a healthy happy animal. Thanks for the feedback. I will try to post some pics of him soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!