Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg care

Hydro033

Reaction score
Hi, I am gathering eggs nightly and rearing them. However, I have very poor hatch rates and a lot of fungi/bacteria seem to get to the eggs. I get the eggs from ponds and I hold them in pond water. I don't have access to other sources of water. I bring them to a lab where the temperature is in the mid 70s. Not sure what else to try.

ron1fritsch

Reaction score
The last two years, i have raised Eastern Tiger Eggs to transformation (mid-August).
I place the eggs in a small bucket with pond water, and then age tap water for two days.
I replace 25% of pond water with tap water every 3 days. This has worked the last two years doing this. You should be able to see the larvae in the eggs with the egg mass being slightly opaque. If they become very opaque, means there is a fungus on simply that the larvae died. I remove this with a suction tube.

Good luck with your eggs!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1