Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Basic Qs about housing, feeding, and purchase of emperors

Cyprinidae

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking into getting an emperor newt as a pet, and I have a bunch of questions regarding care and purchase. I'll start by saying that I'm living in a dorm room right now, and am allowed to have a 10g but nothing larger. I need a somewhat low key pet to look after that doesn't rquire too much space. I really like the emperor newts, can I put one in a 10g? In a year or so I'm getting an apartment and I can upgrade to a 20g and maybe add a couple more newts then.
The setup I have right now is a 10g vivarium that's about 60% land, 40% shallow water. (See pic at bottom) It has a slanted silicon-sealed divider in the middle, so I can't really change the ratio, but I'm thinking of extending the land into the water by adding some large rocks or logs to the pool so that more of it is above water. Right now most of the water side is filled with rocks, so that the water isn't too deep. Is this a good idea, or am I asking for a bacterial problem? Years of fish keeping has taught me that thick layers of substrate and water don't always work out. What do you guys think?*
The land area has a 2" layer of gravel for drainage, covered with an inch of fertilizer free potting soil and 2" of fertilizer/pesticide/chemical free soil. I am planning to top it off with an inch of moss substrate. Right now I have two plants and a house for my newt to hide in. Is this adequate? Should I change anything?
Moving on from housing, I am looking to buy a CB T. shanjing newt or similar species. I have heard bad things about most of the large online breeders I have found so far.
Final question: if I feed waxworks and bloodworms only, is that too much fat? I'm not super great with bugs D: if I need to feed other things as well I will but if small worms are fine, I'd rather do that.*
Thanks so much for reading all of this! I appreciate any help :)
2zhdst5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I can't really help with the housing, although I believe T. shanjing rarely enters water so only a smallish bowl would be needed, but I haven't seen CB T. shanjing offered in a while, or I just didn't notice them.
Those aren't the best foods to be feeding to any caudate as a staple. Waxworms are high in fat and frozen bloodworms are nutritionally incomplete. You should have them on a staple of chopped or small whole earthworm/nightcrawler and can have occasional waxworms and bloodworms as a treat.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
T. shanjing is almost exclusively or even exclusively terrestrial so you'd be better off with just a shallow water dish rather than that aquatic area. It is going to get filthy and that's more difficult to clean that an water dish.
Also, you'd want to cover the substrate with leaf-litter or moss (or both) and have at least a couple of hides with a gradient of humidity.
You seem to have condensation in the tank, you will need a screen mesh top that allows for excellent ventilation. Stagnant and overly humid air are a recipe for skin diseases.
I'm glad you already know enough to look for CB animals, this species in particular generally doesn't do well when they are WC, plus the market is exploitative and terribly wasteful.
Finding CB T.shanjing is likely to require some patience. They are not bred frequently so they are only available when someone does, but it's definitely worth the effort and the patience.

To add to Aaron's advice regarding feeding, you could also offer isopods, which are extremely easy to breed and rich in calcium.

Cyprinidae

Reaction score
Thank you! I can deal with night crawlers :) I just feel bad about crickets and roaches and the crawly ones :) anyone know about housing or availability?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Thank you! I can deal with night crawlers :) I just feel bad about crickets and roaches and the crawly ones :) anyone know about housing or availability?

Azhael has already posted about both of those things above lol

Cyprinidae

Reaction score
T. shanjing is almost exclusively or even exclusively terrestrial so you'd be better off with just a shallow water dish rather than that aquatic area. It is going to get filthy and that's more difficult to clean that an water dish.
Also, you'd want to cover the substrate with leaf-litter or moss (or both) and have at least a couple of hides with a gradient of humidity.
You seem to have condensation in the tank, you will need a screen mesh top that allows for excellent ventilation. Stagnant and overly humid air are a recipe for skin diseases.
I'm glad you already know enough to look for CB animals, this species in particular generally doesn't do well when they are WC, plus the market is exploitative and terribly wasteful.
Finding CB T.shanjing is likely to require some patience. They are not bred frequently so they are only available when someone does, but it's definitely worth the effort and the patience.

To add to Aaron's advice regarding feeding, you could also offer isopods, which are extremely easy to breed and rich in calcium.
And if I make the 10 gal nearly all terrestrial, is that sufficient for 1 t.shanjing or a pair?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1