Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus marmoratus - male or female

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Just wanted someone to help confirm if I have both a male and female. It looks like they are male and female. The cloaca shapes are definitely different.
The first 2 pictures are what I believe to be the female and the last 2 should be the male.

Attachments

• WP_20141127_19_47_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141127_19_47_56_Pro.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,025
  • WP_20141127_19_48_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141127_19_48_39_Pro.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 805
  • WP_20141127_19_49_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141127_19_49_43_Pro.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 965
  • WP_20141127_19_49_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141127_19_49_57_Pro.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 574

mizzerman

Reaction score
If they are mature, females have an orange stripe down their back, males have a broken black and orange stripe.

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong. The cloaca isn't necessarily the best way to differentiate them?

otolith

Reaction score
Claoca shape/size can be used to sex immature animals but can be difficult if you do not know what you are looking at. Unfortunately I cannot help you here as I've always waited for secondary sexual characteristics to develop to accurately sex Triturus species.

Once the animals mature sexing becomes incredibly easy as males will develop a dorsal crest. In young or terrestrial males it is more of a small vertebral ridge but is still very easy to see. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in on cloaca shape.

Redear

Reaction score
My males are starting to move into the water and are developing their crests. Along with the dorsal crest, the tail changes shape becoming taller and flatter. A blue / white stripe may also appear. Keep in mind, as Otolith says, these are sexually mature males who are preparing to mate.

I haven't paid much attention to the cloaca outside the breeding season. But this thread has me interested in observing them when the males lose their sexual characteristics. That will probably be a couple months from now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1