Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newt breeding - Ichthyosaura Alpestris Alpestris

Stupot1610

Reaction score
In this thread I will post my breeding success and the development of my alpine newts. I have four females and six males. They are currently hibernating, I will bring them back inside in January. They are the nominate form Ichthyosaura alpestris alpestris. Currently they are in the garage at about 4-6'c, when they come inside they will start off at about 12'c and will build up to about 18'c. In my newts I have realised they lay more eggs after a colder and longer period of hibernation, so they have been hibernated since the 28th of September.
This will be updated whenever something new happens, so not much for now.

Stuart

Stupot1610

Reaction score
So, I got fed up of having an empty tank and being my usual impatient self I have brought the newts back inside. So obviously they aren't hibernating anymore, they've had just short of two months hibernation so they should breed easily. All the males have been courting the females but they haven't got their full breeding colours yet, but I have noticed that they have lightened up a bit. I'm not sure when they'll lay eggs but I would think within a month or so. Their current temperature is roughly 17'c which is up about 10'c from the garage so this should encourage breeding.
I have a couple of questions:
-how long does it take for breeding colours to develop once they are taken out of hibernation?
-how long after courtship starts do eggs begin to be laid?

Stuart

Stupot1610

Reaction score
The first eggs were found today! And with four very large (fat) female newts in the tank I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Stuart

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Yes I do! Sorry for the delay, Ive had a lot going on recently.
I've probably had about 200 eggs so far, but there's lots more to come. Males are looking bright and colourful and females are looking positively fat. I'll try post some recent pics, the females are huge!!
Various people have some of my eggs and lots more are going to be getting some so hopefully people that have eggs from me or will be getting some will also post here! I always like to hear how they're doing!

Stuart

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Still going well. I've lost track of how many eggs they've laid but it must be over 300. The four females still look to be laying though, so there should be a few more to come. I've got some four week old larvae which have grown really fast, they all have back legs now. I've also got a group of about 15-20 newly hatched larvae as well. I'm going to send off a couple more batches of eggs and then I'm going to keep the rest for myself.

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Very nice :) I hope I can get ahold of more alpines in the near future. I had some years ago and would love to get them again

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Very nice :) I hope I can get ahold of more alpines in the near future. I had some years ago and would love to get them again

I only just saw this, sorry for the late reply. They really are a great species, very easy to care for and breed and very aesthetically pleasing. They have to be one of my favourite species, but I like so many I can't choose just one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1