Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sooo Mad & Worried

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
I ordered ten eastern newt and three jeffersons salamanders and they were shipped out Thursday for next day so they should have been here Friday....But they didnt come in Friday so i checked the tracking number and it said it was on its way to me for Saturday so i waited all day Saturday(today) and still no show?

So now i checked the tracking number again and it said it was at my local post office only problem is it closed at 12:00 and they didnt update their website till 12:30 so now my poor newts and salamander have to wait in a box until monday (5 days in a box:eek:) before i can get them out that box... Do you guys/girls think they will be alive or do you think they will be dead?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how they were wrapped, if it holds moisture (which most shippers do well) and the post office is probably air conditioned, or at least not sweltering, there's a good chance they will be fine, I think. Be sure to be there first thing monday!

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Depending on how they were wrapped, if it holds moisture (which most shippers do well) and the post office is probably air conditioned, or at least not sweltering, there's a good chance they will be fine, I think. Be sure to be there first thing monday!

I will be there as soon as they open. I asked the shipped and he said he shipped them really good so now all i can do is sit and hope for the best. Ill keep all you guys/girls posted as soon as they come in. Lets hope for the best ive had this happen to me with a pair on diamondback terrapin and they where ok but turtles and newts are to different things

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I am sure they will be alright. Relax and have some wine:D.

Jake

Reaction score
I am sure they will be alright. Relax and have some wine:D.

I agree!

I've sent newts to people and the boxes get delayed all the time (gotta love USPS) but usually they arrive alive and well...unless they're axolotls in bags.

For future reference, it's best to ship live animals early in the week to prevent situations like this one. Let us know how they are when you get them.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty irresponsible of the shipper to send them out on Thursday! I never ship anything after Wednesday, as things like this happen. But like Jake (and everyone else) said, terrestrials will fare a lot better than aquatics.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have learned a similar lesson from an experience of my own: not a good idea to send a "hold at PO" shipment late in the week. In my case, it turned out the PO where the package was held wasn't even open on Saturdays, despite being the "main" downtown PO of a decent sized city! I feel your pain.

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
HI everyone i just got back from picking up my package and all were in good condition except one eastern newt (d.o.a). The shipper sent me some free stuff that was good i orderd 10 eastern newts, 2 slimy salamanders and that was it although i did ask about ringed neck snakes.. So he emailed me to say he sent some extras but i didnt get the email... So when i opened the box and found 6 ringed necked snakes , 4 slimy salamanders and the 10 eastern newts i was pretty happy even though i had to wait so long.

Ed

Reaction score
While it's a good thing that the animals were fine, were you aware that it is illegal to ship/recieve snakes through the USPS?
You might want to discuss that with the shipper......

Ed

vistajpdf

Reaction score
So sorry about the one unfortunate one. I was worried all weekend with you - thinking of the poor little things sitting in darkness. I'm afraid I projected my claustrophia onto them.

Anyway, I know nothing about shipping, but I do want to donate my FBN eggs so I better get up on it.

Let us know how the rest fare,
Dana

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for worring and caring. I am sad about the eastern newt but hey atleast everything else is good. Thanks everyone and ill keep yous updated and i hope to get some pictures up soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!