Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help im worried ahhhhhh

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

My axolotls were fine last week when i went on holdiay and i got back today so i have fed them but tell me what could have caused this?

I'm very worried it might get infected because its open but neither of my other two axolotls have it they are totally fine.

It looks like something has just grabbed on and ripped the skin off but the other axolotls have no teeth so maybe he caught it on the bit of granite in there?

Please help part of his leg is down to the bone and i imagine it hurts ALOT and I really feel sorry for him :(

HELP ME DAVE GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 435
Last edited by a moderator:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
It looks like your axie has either been bitten by one of its tank mates or like you say got its arm caught somewhere.

There is probably not much you can do right now. Just keep the tank as cool and clean as possible and keep an eye for further deterioration of the limb or any fungus setting in, then it's straight to the fridge for this fellow. I wouldn't perform salt baths though on such a fresh and open wound. Is the axie still using the leg?

If it's possible to separate the injured axie (in a separate tank or a divider screen) then it would ensure the others don't attack the injured limb again.

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

OKay thanks kerry shall i fridge him/her now or shall i wait and see if it clears up?

Also ive never fridged the axie before so how do i fridge him/her and how big does the container have to be?

Also do i just fridge it at the current temprature or do i have to make it a bit warmer?

Also it is red around the joint so i dont think he is shedding.

EDIT

He/she isnt using the limb but when he/she climbs around the leaves he/she makes sure they dont bang her foot so i think its sore.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Drew is your axie's injured limb still able to move? Can it still 'crawl' with its injured leg?

You definitely have to fridge the axie. No salt baths.

Axolotl Sanctuary

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

I dont think it can move its leg but i cant see it anymore because its hiding among the leaves i have in there.

Shall i fridge him now then?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Yes under Dr. Raysons advice, fridge straight away.

Enough water to cover your axie, you can use the water from the tank initially.
You need a tub big enough for your axie to be able to stretch out fully, without having to keep his tail bent.
A lidded container wrapped in a towel to avoid sudden light changes when you open the fridge.
Make sure your fridge temp is no lower than 5 degrees.
Change the water daily.
I have found the easiest way is to keep two tubs the same size next to each other on the same shelf then you know they are the same temperature. It is then easy to transfer the axie from the old tub to the new each day. Once the axie is in the new tub, give the old one a rinse and add fresh dechlorinated water and put it back in the fridge ready for the water change the next day.

Good luck Drew, keep us up to date with how he is getting on.

Last edited:

scrappa

Reaction score
Slight problem..... With the fridge set to highest temp its at 4.1.......................

Anything i can do to get the temp a bit higher?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Sorry you're having so many problems Drew.

If you can monitor the temperature of a small container and keep small frozen bottles of water rotated so that you keep it at a constant low temp would work, but that is very time consuming and I would worry about temperature fluctuations in a small container if you can't keep a very close eye on it.

Other than that I think all you can do is as I suggested before, keep the tank as cool and clean as possoble and try to separate the injured axie from the others. Once an axolotl has an injury the others may attack it thinking it's food as they can smell the 'flesh' smell from the wound. (this is not 'my' theory, it is advice from a certain Aussie vet that frequents this forum)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Its a bit unusual that your fridge (not freezer) gets to -2 degrees. In most cases that can actually damage the food you keep in the fridge. Are you able to adjust the fridge temperature any higher? Fridging is still best.

Anyway, it is definitely ideal to isolate this axie from the rest. Most 'scent' and 'movement' sensing predators (including axies) do react to the smell of blood and exposed wound, and will tend to attack the site again.

Do you have a spare hospital tank?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
As it is cooler outside, maybe find a spot out of direct sunlight there. Do make sure that the container is very secure though. I have kept mine in large plastic lidded crates with out any problems.

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

I think the tankmates are picking on him because now one of his six gills has been reduced to a stump and the rest are pointing forward :(

He is also flicking them alot.

scrappa

Reaction score
Also no i dont have a spare tank :(

He could go in the pond but the pond fish would harm him and i would probably never get him back out aswell as it might get to cold.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I am not surprised the other axies will attack this poor axie. The wounds do make the axie appear as potential food to the others. No way you can adjust the temperature of the fridge? Do you have a wine chiller or other similar cooling equipment?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Drew,

Also no i dont have a spare tank :(

He could go in the pond but the pond fish would harm him and i would probably never get him back out aswell as it might get to cold.

It doesn't need to be a tank. A plastic container will do (a bucket, ice cream tub, tupperware container, plastic tub, etc). Do NOT put the axolotl in the pond.

In order to heal, the axolotl needs to be kept in a cool, clean, and stress free environment.

If the fridge is not an option, find the coolest room in the house to keep the axolotl. If you postion the container as near to ground level as you can, this will help keep the water cool (lower ground is cooler than higher ground).

Keep the tub covered with a lid so the axolotl cannot jump out (and nothing can get in). If the container is airtight, drill/puncture some holes into the lid. You may need to wrap the container in a teatowel to keep the environment dark, so the light does not bother the axolotl.

The axolotl will need his water changed every day with fresh dechlorinated water.

A cool, dark environment will help destress the axolotl which will aid in his recovery. Keeping the axolotl seperate from the others, in his own space, will also help you monitor his condition and feeding.

While he is being harrassed by tank mates, and stressed, he is not going to heal.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Last edited:

scrappa

Reaction score
Thanks jacquie also his injured arm fell off earlier today.... Is this a good thing or not?

I suppose it wont get infected as easy?

Also a little arm with a hand on about 1/8 the size of a full arm has formed :)

I think he is going to be fine :smile:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
He must've had a poorly arm for a while for the new one to be growing already! Bless him!

It sounds like your little one is going to OK, I'm so pleased for you.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The reason why 5 degree celsius is set as a minimum is due to the following reasons.

1 - It is a temperature that inhibits bacterial growth.

2 - It promotes axie healing and is safe.

Theoretically, 4 degree celsius is still 'safe' in that it is the threshold temperature before cellular damage from cold occurs. Axies can tolerate colder waters but its safer not to go below 4.5.

If you can ensure it doesn't dip below 4.5 at any point of time, it is still ok. However anything colder carries a risk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!