Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotls can’t grip worms

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can't dust worms for axolotls. Dust will simply wash off in the water.

Ellis

Reaction score
How about I try feeding my axolotls a mixture of earthworms, waxworms and bloodworms? but slowly cut out the other two until their completly on earthworms?
I have a lot of worms left and a couple of bloodworms in my freezer left over from when i switched baby Specktor to adult food. Do you guys think it would work? I would really love my axolotls to eat exclusivly worms but they refuse to grip/eat them :(.
My boyfriend has some axolotls from the same breeder and one of his also refuses to eat earthworms? is it something we can fix because im scared their not getting everything they need.
I feel like a mum asking the kids to eat their vegitables at the moment :p

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
From the sounds of it, your Axies may just be on a hunger strike for wax worms. Unless they show visible signs of malnutrition (make sure that their hip bones are not showing, and that their mid section is at least the same width as their head), I suggest offering them only worm pieces for the next month. If they refuse the worms, do not feed them. Axolotls have a very low metabolism and can survive for a long time without food. They may be refusing your earthworms now because they are spoiled, but they will eat them when they are sufficiently hungry. Don't cave in to their cuteness! ;)

Ellis

Reaction score
your axolotls are simply spoiled.

they are alittle spoilt when I come to think about it :p, my 4 oldest (cominu up to a year old in a couple of weeks) they refuse to eat anything even if i drop it on their nose, it has to be hand feed or they will simply not eat it. I thought it was more or less normal until i got baby Specktor and accidentally dropped the food while handfeeding her and she jumped at it and ate it!
I'm trying my best to preserve the mini hunter in her, it will come in handy is i have to go away for a while and leave them in someone elses charge, if she can hunt on her own it would be easier to find some to look after her. If only my others could do that :p

firedreams

Reaction score
It just occurred to me to double check that you are feeding your Axies earthworms (nightcrawlers) and not red wigglers (a mid-sized worm option, sometimes sold as "trout worms"). Some newts and salamanders have a strong aversion to red wigglers. I just thought it might be worth while to ensure that this isn't the root of your problem!

firedreams

Reaction score
Is your normal feeding strategy to hand feed or to drop the food in their tank? In my own experience, hand feeding is the way to go. You can purchase large feeding tweezers and use these to wave the worm in front of your axie's face. Axies respond well to both movement and scent.

Ellis

Reaction score
I am feeding them "Dendrobaena earthworms" from wormsdirectuk.co.uk, I always hand feed them, waxworms are feed by hand and worms by tweezers because im scared of worms.
I tried the not feeding them waxworms the other week and offering them worms every day, they got skinnier which worried me enough to start this thread :(.
To be fair one of them managed to keep one chunk of worm down in one feeding but none of the other feeding, my others couldnt grip/ didnt want to eat them.

firedreams

Reaction score
I may be wrong about this - and if someone knows better, please correct me - but I think that Dendrobaena earthworms are a type of red wiggler, or compost worm. So this might be the problem. I would suggest going to large pet store - or one that specifically serves reptiles and amphibs - and requesting earthworms. These should be about 1cm thick and approx. 10-20cm long.

firedreams

Reaction score
Red wiggler type earthworms excrete a type of mucous that many newts and salamanders find objectionable. Some of mine will each them, but many won't. They aren't toxic, they just taste gross.

Ellis

Reaction score
thank you:)! I will try that :) their are not many reptile shops in my city, i'll go out and have a look at all the ones i know tomorrow, would it be okay to get them from a bait shop if they dont have them?

firedreams

Reaction score
Ask the bait shop if they treat their worms with any sort of flavour enhancer. If not, go for it! If they do, perhaps you could ask if they could order in untreated worms.

firedreams

Reaction score
If you happen to have a back yard/garden, and if it isn't treated with pesticides, you might try catching your own worms.

firedreams

Reaction score
In the mean time, you could try feeding your axies large crickets or butter worms. Butter worms are fatty and more expensive, but crickets are fairly law in fat and are quite cheap.

Ellis

Reaction score
If the reptile shop doesnt have any worms i'll get some crickets which will buy me time for a couple of days while before i get to the bait shop, i'll be sure to ask about if the worms are treated :).
I have a medium sized back garden that is left alone, no one likes gardening in my house :p the only reason im weary of catching worms is because i cant be sure about not getting any nasty germs into my axolotls

Ellis

Reaction score
I'll try hunting for worms when the weather gets better, at the moment everything is iced over :(.
I'm getting some worms that my boyfriend got them from a bait shop tomorrow which hopefully will work. In the mean time I've been feeding them waxworms and alot of bloodworms.

Thank you all so much for your replies!

Sam77

Reaction score
If you do manage to feed them earthworms from your garden, worms direct also sell garden worms (lobworms I think) as I ordered these to start with, as the man from worms direct said that many axies won't eat dendrobaena. Thankfully mine did, so I switched to these as they last longer. Lobworms need to be kept in the fridge as well.

Ellis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just a quick update, i ordered Lumbricus worms form LittleBigPets.co.uk and my axololts are really eating them! one of them vomited once but i figured that was because she ate abit too much.
Thank you all for you advice,
Means alot to me,Thank you all very very much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1