Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

African Dwarf Frog Sudden Death.

Bloodedflowers

Reaction score
Just over two weeks ago I purchased three beautiful little ADF's, they appeared to live happily in the set up below.They had made their homes by digging out all the sand from under the rocks and sitting under them, as well as sitting in the plants. I have them housed with four guppies and the tank had been well cycled before introducing them.

I have been keeping a close eye on the tank for the past two weeks, I spend a lot of my time watching them go about their business. My gutsy frog, Khan, had attempted to catch the guppies a few times when they came to the bottom of the tank for bloodworms, but I think he'd clicked on that it was never going to happen and has since left them alone, and other than that one, slightly amusing, incident, everything in the tank has been living in peace.

Which is why today I am shocked. This morning I looked in on my tank, all my frogs were going about their business, the guppies about there's. About an hour later when I looked in on the tank, I noticed Kirk was floating at the top with his mouth poking about the surface of the water. I assumed he was sleeping so left him to it as I know ADF sleep a lot. However, about half an hour later when I noticed he was still in the same position and was just moving around the tank on the slight current the filter creates I got worried.

I gently tapped him with the net for the tank, and he bobbed up and down in the same position, so I scooped him out with the net. Kirk had passed on. He was stiff, his back legs and arms were out in a way that looked like he had been swimming when he died.

Kahn and Scotty seem fine, but Kirk is gone. Is sudden death common issue with ADF's? He looked perfectly fine, except for no longer being alive, there was nothing visibly wrong with him, he was eating fine and his behavior hadn't changed since I got him.

I've attached a picture of the tank, and a picture of Khan. (currently the only one social enough to come to the front of the tank and wave at me.) Pictures are blurry due my camera being unable to fully adjust to the light, the tank's water isn't cloudy at all. :/

Attachments

• 1045007_10201498569209261_124440826_n.jpg
    1045007_10201498569209261_124440826_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 27,686
  • 998529_10201508014125378_540100880_n.jpg
    998529_10201508014125378_540100880_n.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 7,790
Last edited:

emmyk

Reaction score
Aww im sorry for your loss. ADF's were the first aquatic pet I had. I had two that I got when I was like 5 , and my parents warned me that they don't live very long. But..to my parent surprise, they lived 7 years...yikes. I had mine in a smaller tank. Have you tested the water? And what temperature is the tank at? Also, do you have an air stone? That helped mine a lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

xxianxx

Reaction score
Sudden death with new adf is common, they die like flies. I have lost 12/12 of the last three batches I have bought from the shops, whilst the adults I sourced from a friend are all fine. Your tank looks good but if you fill it with plants the frogs will prefer it, also bloodworm is not the best diet , adf do very well on live foods.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!