Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I have tried everything- i think...axolotl floating

Reptileguy123

Reaction score
For the past two months, I have been trying to nurse my axolotl back to health. I change the water every month, but they have a 55 rated internal filter which is turned to the lowest setting. I have two axolotls living together, both aprox. 3 1/2 to 4 inches long (8.89cm to 10.6cm). The problem- floating. I know it has to do with the stomach and all, but I just don't know whats going on. It may be bladder infection, but idk. it doesn't go away. Heres what I have done- I took a container, filled it with cold dechorinated water 1inch deep (2.54cm), and feed the axie rosie red minnows and replaced the water everyday. it was not in the fridge, and no salt. WHat do I do? what is the diagnosis for this? btw, I leave him/ ger in there for three days, and then I put him/her back in the tank. she/he is fine for a couple days, but then trues to go to the suface for air. Im thinking they need for oxygen? Help meh please :confused:

E

Elise

What's the temperature in your tank. Can you also include a few pictures of your axolotls?

Kaini

Reaction score
73 (F) is far too warm for them. Axolotls should be kept around 60-64 degrees Fahrenheit at all times or they're open to health problems.

Changing the water once a month seems too long to me. Is your tank cycled? How are the water parameters in the tank? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?) Do you test these regularly?

I would address the temp right now, you need to keep them cool. Room temp won't cut it. You need a chiller or an aquarium fan or two.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you're moving axolotls between water of different temperatures, you really risk killing them with thermal shock.

Minnows aren't a good food. Switch to something more palatable, like earthworms.

Axolotls don't have bladders, regular or swim.

Are you confusing floating with surfacing for gulps of air?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!