Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamanders Keeping and Breeding by Pasmans, Bogaert, Janssen, and Sparreboom

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
ISBN 978-3-86659-265-0 "Salamanders keeping and breeding" by Frank Pasmans, Serge Bogaerts, Henry Janseen, and Max Sparreboom is a recent book (2014) translated to English by Herprint International.

This 247 page book is written by experts on salamanders and is appropriate for beginners to advanced hobbyists. The first thing that impressed me were all of the excellent photographs. The photos were mostly taken by the authors and not compiled from other sources. Frank Pasmans sure has seen and photographed lots of salamanders. Even if it had not been translated to my native language it would have been worth the modest price for the pictures alone.

The book is well laid out. It starts out with taxonomy then goes on to husbandry, reproduction, laws, and diseases. After the 120 page overview it gets into the meat of the subject. That is where the species accounts start. The accounts expand on the overview. Individual species are shown, described, and their breeding and care is explained. This expands on the groundwork that was laid in the first half of the book. The photos are excellent. The book is not dumbed down but would be appropriate for a hobbyist at most levels.

At least one of the authors is a member of caudata.org. Caudata.org, caudata.culture, and John Clare are mentioned in the book. Their is a limited number of translated editions available.

otolith

Reaction score
This is a really great book, I highly recommend it also. I ordered my copy from the UK but it looks like its available domestically now (amazon had a few copies in stock for $70).

Alex M

Reaction score
回复: Salamanders Keeping and Breeding by Pasmans, Bogaert, Janssen, and Sparreboom

Good review, Michael. The photo content is worth every penny alone. Have to echo what an excellent book it is irrespective of your experience with caudates, it works for all levels - case in point, mine is currently on loan with my 70 year old mother - for some reason she's just decided to get her first salamander!.

Cheers
Al

Dannie88

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what species are covered in the accounts section? And are rubber eels the only caecilians covered? Just got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and I'm thinking of purchasing this book.

Methos5K

Reaction score
If you are thinking of buying this book, do it. I am not going to list all the species here, but if somewhere someone is keeping that species, it's in this book. I have not found its equal in literature about the keeping of caudates.

In addition to the "rubber eel", it has care information for the most common (and really only) terrestrial caecilians found in the trade. Geotrypetes seraphini (Gaboon caecilian) and Ichthyophis kohtaoensis (Koh Tao caecilian),

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally got this book, it's a must-have for anyone keeping/breeding newts and sals.

jennewt-albums-miscellaneous-picture38337-salamanders-keeping-breeding-frank-pasmans-serge-bogaerts-henry-janseen-max-sparreboom-2014.jpg

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have finished reading this book and I wanted to write a review as well, so I'm adding it here to this thread.

Salamanders: Keeping and Breeding, by Pasmans, Bogaerts, Janssen, & Sparreboom. (Muenster, Natur und Tier Verlag GmbH, 2014) 247 pages.

What I like best about this book is that I can use it to show my friends a picture of virtually every species of salamander I have ever kept, keep now, or dream of keeping. It has a lot of great species pictures. Each species has a description of characteristics, male vs. female in breeding season, how they live in the wild, and the size and type of tank to best keep them in captivity, including a description of their mating information. There is about two pages of information on average per species, so at 247 pages it is not as detailed as other books might be, but it has all the basics, and one of the aims of this book is to provide keeping & breeding information.

In addition to 124 pages of species accounts, the first 120 pages of the book are devoted to general information, including biology, taxonomy, wild behavior, diet, reproduction, habitat, keeping, purchasing, feeding, reproduction strategies and tips, laws, and diseases. These sections are abundantly illustrated with a bounty of excellent photographs and helpful advice & ideas. There is a lot of really great information in this book.

Several websites and resources are mentioned at the end, including caudata.org, caudataculture.org, and many books.

It was hard to pick a couple of pages to represent the book, but I selected these two pictures from the reproduction section to illustrate how well they cover subject areas with representative pictures.

The book is printed on quality paper and beautifully photographed. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• Review-Pasmans.jpg
    Review-Pasmans.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 877
  • Review-Pasmans2.jpg
    Review-Pasmans2.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Review-PasmansCover.jpg
    Review-PasmansCover.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 751
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!