Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings All

Fimbriae

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Have been a member for a while but have not yet posted. I was in need of some advice when I acquired my GFP mexicanum, and most of my questions I found answers to using the search. I have had an Ambystoma andersoni for 5+ years prior that suffered from some gill shrinkage but continues to thrive in an aquatic environment, and didn't want to make the same mistakes with my new GFP. I've kept various reptiles and amphibians for the past 20 years (mostly anurans), and am always interested in the technical aspects of herpetology and husbandry. Say hello to my current Caudates, Gamma & Sigma :D

IMG_20140812_173249_zpspp3g8ywo.jpg

IMG_20140601_200705_zps9zk97mtb.jpg

Fimbriae

Reaction score
Thank you! That picture was taken a year ago when Gamma was just acquired (5 months old @ 4.5"). She's about 9" now and slightly more rotund :wink:

AussieLux

Reaction score
WOW. Gamma almost has a mane his gills are so fluffy! Even Sigma looks pleased as punch.

:)

Fimbriae

Reaction score
I know mate! I saw her one day like this and was blown away. They weren't usually this fluffy when she was young, and now I kick myself for not having done a full water parameter test, noting temp and flow that day :confused:. She's a lot bigger now and her gills look smaller in comparison, I fear they will never be restored to former glory.

AussieLux

Reaction score
Yeah I guess that is always the way with things in life. As long as Gamma is doing well that is what counts :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!