Raising Axolotl Larvae

Hanbobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Hannah
Hi Guys!

My Wild Type female and Leucistic male Axolotls have been up to no good this Fall... :rolleyes: these baby making machines have been busy producing enough Axolotls to populate the Moon! (well they are aliens after all).

She laid her eggs a total of 4 times in the space of 6 weeks, and as a consequence I've had to purchase a mesh divider for the time being to separate the love bugs. :eek:

This is her second year of giving me the fun task of raising her offspring... in 2014 she successfully laid a whopping 600 eggs - and it was my first time raising larva - she threw me in at the deep end for sure! :p

I now have 3 different batches of hatched larvae - all hatched within 1 week of one another due to the first batch taking a good 4 weeks to hatch because their water conditions were a lot cooler. These little guys are between 7 - 14 days old now.
I have approx 100 of these cutie pies happily swimming around in a large plastic container with all the Daphnia they can eat and plenty of live plants for shelter.

The 4th and final batch of eggs were laid 1 week ago and are in a separate container, the eggs appear to be developing well and have reached that 'maggot' looking stage.

I'm here to share my photos, stories and anything I can on raising these little buddies. Feel free to share your own! :eek:

Below are the Photos of my female, Diego, and male, Hey Bert (Bert for short!).

I'll take some photos of the beautiful babies I have and post them up this evening. :D

$_80-1.jpg $_80.jpg

I managed to get some photos this evening of the Larvae. I removed 2 from the group of 100 so you can see how they differ in colours. The last time Diego laid her eggs they were all Melanoids. This time I'm pretty sure I have some mini Berts in there. You'll see by the photo that one looks like it may be a leucistic. :cool:

These 2 guys are approx 2 weeks old...

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

Twins - I noticed I have two embryos within the same egg and they both appear to be developing well, like a large majority of the other unhatched eggs I have!

There's also a selection of other photos of the Axi's taken today 12/11/15 :D

IMG_9457.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back