Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Phoenix Worm Experiment

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Where I've been around the US, I've found "waxworms" can be quite different species. The worst example being mealworm pupae sold as "waxworms". Actually, I think some of the confusion may have been rectified thanks to the Internet.

UPDATE!

I got word back from various wax worm suppliers and have found what Pete says to be painfully true.

Of 14 different USA companies that supply them and bothered to reply to my queries:

9 had no idea which species they were selling
3 gave scientific names for completely different species, each giving a different name, two of these gave scientific names for small mammals!
1 has both species depending on the time of year
1 confirmed they are selling Galleria mellonella

Of the nine that had no clue, 5 noted they get theirs from the other 5 suppliers on the list! (I did not inquire as to sources, some companies get a little angry when you ask such things...)

Also: The instructions for Phoenix worms state to add a few drops of water to the packing media if it dries out. For a 100 count size container, 3ml is too much water and will drown your Phoenix worms. I found this out the hard way this morning.

I have yet to hear back from the phoenix worm company as to why they call them phoenix worms...I will bother them again shortly.;)

I found this article on rearing wax worms I am going to try out both their media types and report back later in a new thread...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

ed_moyer

Reaction score
Well, for me the phoenix worms are a great food for salamanders, I don't use them for newts!!!! The thing is if you just buy them put them in a large plastic pretzel jar with some sawdust, coco fiber,cornmeal and a piece of carrot!! Just put it to the side an check back later!!! The mock wasps will morph and lay eggs an you will always have a culture of them of all sizes!!! As for wax worms I won't feed them right out of the container they come in, until they have been in a culture for a while to get some food in them!!!

evut

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link, Julia. I just ordered some. I am hoping my little marmoratus will accept these because they won't touch the lesser wax worms. I also hope they are right about these worm not going anywhere from the dish because the lesser wax worms are a nightmare.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the link Julia. I ordered some yesterday and they arrived this morning! I think Rick might deserve a testimonial. A tight run operation with reasonable prices. The silk worm kits look interesting too.

evut

Reaction score
Just a quick question...does anybody know if these worms bite (I mean could they bite the stomach of the newt)?

I got them today and I have to say they look disgusting...:sick:
Not sure about the claim that they won't escape from the dish because they seem to be climbing with no problems....?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Given their food source in the wild, biting is not an issue. These guys are larvae of a stingless wasps like fly. In the wild they free on feces and manure. They have mouthparts suited for this food. Very different from the hard jaws of beetle larvae and wax eating moth grubs.

morg

Reaction score
ive gotten around to trying phoenix worms at last, but because they are not very active little things[at least at winter temperatures in the newt room], none of my newts-salamander-toad species are interested in them.
Oh well, I will give them another try come summertime,

Natalie

Reaction score
With the huge exception of my A. tigrinum and my one hippo axolotl juvie (out of three) I have had poor luck with wax worms as well. Mostly spit out or not even accepted. I usually just buy them and feed them, they are always in the wood shaving media. I was unaware that there is other media to keep wax worms in, I am curious to see what you suggest Azhael.

Mitch

I really appreciate this post. It sounds like there are several folks who just buy full-size wax worms or Phoenix worms, and try feeding mostly unsuccessfully. I can say from experience, that full-size wax worms will be to big for all but very large salamanders, so you have to harvest at different times(with wax worms, the media is honey mixed with bran and a bit of non-parafin wax). Now I built my Phoenix worm hatchery, and will see if the younger ones are more tender - they seem to be quicker, which also gets sallies' attention.

tcbemis

Reaction score
@Nat1 just curious how you're culture is coming along? I only have 6 A. Maculatum and no matter what amount of Reptiworms I get they end up dying off. Or worse... morphing in the cup ?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Roygbiv

Reaction score
Has anyone tried pooking the Phoenix worm with a pin? This eliminates the grub from passing us digested! I have over 10 species of sals and newts. They all eat our BioGrubs which are the same species but different brand name with a higher nutrient load. Look up www.facebook.com /gulfcoastfeeders. These are a great staple feeder but there are a few tricks to get to get them to be eaten. You can also freeze them for a few and crack them in half. That's what we do for our aquatic sals.

ntny

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Finally! i am able to get phoenix worms and to my surprise the are much cheaper than earthworms 1/3 the costs of earthworms. :D
they are very soft and much smaller than mealworms about 1 cm only
i feed to all my caudates and my fire belly toads they all enjoy eating except my aquatic Laotriton laoensis
i am not sure why Laotriton laoensis ignore them. they only likes to eat earthworms, bloodworms and tubifex worms :confused:

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!