The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) This group of Far Eastern salamanders are becoming increasingly popular in captivity, and thanks to the captive breeding efforts of one European hobbyist in particular (you know who I mean), they are becoming easier and easier to acquire.

Old 18th January 2019   #1
hynobius

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: hynobius is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BTW what language is "hynobius" anyway?

I was reading up the taxonomy thread by rodrigo? and got curious..

hynobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019   #2
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: BTW what language is "hynobius" anyway?

Hi, welcome to the site! :)
I think all scientific names are in Latin, I don't know what Hynobius actually means, though.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019   #3
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The scientific names of animals follow Latin grammatical rules, in part, but are based upon words of any language [or none at all]. There are scientific names based on acronyms as well as nonsense words. For species names, Tylototriton shanjing is from "Chinese" [there are hundreds of "Chinese" languages, I know], Tylototriton broadoridgus is from English, Phelsuma antanosy is from Malagasy, Litoria oenicolen is from Greek, Tylototriton podichthys is Greek, derived from Lao and other Southeast Asian languages, etc ad nauseum. There are names from Hindi, Quechua, Japanese, Native American languages, Australian aboriginal, Maori, etc. A few are translations, such as podichthys [fish with feet, the Lao term for "newt"] and agricolae [belonging to a farmer, a Latin translation of the German word Bauer, after Aaron Bauer].

I don't know the origin or meaning of Hynobius, and it seems I might have to go back to the original source to find out [but older sources often didn't explain their choices of names]. Meanwhile, I've asked Nick Poyarkov to see if he knows.

Plants, viruses, fungi, and single-celled organisms follow different rules. Mostly, the rules are similar. Plant names are supposed to be Latin or Latinized proper nouns [might have changed since I last dealt with plant rules]. Fungi rules should be most similar to plants. No organism which is not a virus can use the word "virus" in the name, while viruses must contain the word. Currently, plants, animals, and fungi can actually share names. Arizona is both bacterium and snake, Dracaena is both lizard and tree, Salvadora is both plant and snake.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019   #4
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nick says "Hynos" is Greek, meaning "plough", and it's in reference to the pattern of the vomerine teeth.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019   #5
hynobius

Nationality:

Nice, Im glad i asked; thank you

Old 19th January 2019   #6
hynobius

Nationality:

Hello, thank you :)