N. maculosus

jelkins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin Elkins
Saw my first 'wild' mud puppies while hiking the other week along the Sheltowee Trace in KY. I've seen this species before at various exhibts, but never in the wilds of my state. Supposedly they are very common in Kentucky.

Nice! Any habitat details? Were you flipping rocks or were they just out swimming in the open?

I was flipping rocks and actively looking for them. Limestone/gravel substrate w/ lots of large flat limestone rocks for cover. They were both under individual rocks, were'nt sharing, the first was about 6" long and the second was about 8" long. They were in good condition from what I could tell. Cold water tributary that may go dry during the summer, so they may be moving out of the main river during the winter months?

I was through-hiking the trail, didn't have a camera due to weight considerations otherwise I would have taken pictures to show the crew here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back