The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 27th October 2009   #1
Richard
(RPM)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RPM has given consistently good advice and informationRPM has given consistently good advice and informationRPM has given consistently good advice and information
Default Chinese Giant Salamander, Andrias davidianus

I recently visited Hunan Province, China to visit my in-laws, attend a wedding and do some sightseeing in the mountains. I visited Zhangjiejie National Park known for their unique mountain formations. Upon visiting nearby Baofeng Lake, there was a map etched into a large rock showing local points of interest. To my surprise, there was a Chinese Giant Salamander Rescue Center down the road from where I was. The party we were touring with included a couple of locals (they donít understand my obsession with salamanders). We stopped where I believed to be the location of the salamanders. There was construction for a new hotel at the site. We stopped at the gate and one of my tour guides inquired about the salamander center. We were informed that there were salamanders on the premises, but it was not open to the public.
One of our tour guides knew of a location of some captive salamanders, so we proceeded to nearby Yellow Dragon Cave, which I had visited on a previous trip some years ago. Outside of the entrance to this cave, they had two captive Chinese Giant Salamanders, Andrias davidianys. Each was contained in their own newly constructed deep round stone enclosure approximately 6 ft. in diameter, resembling a sewer manhole or well. A large steel grid was placed on top with two padlocks. A stream exited the cave feeding the water in the enclosure as well as a large goldfish pool. I would of liked to of seen them held in a larger pool, but evidently they need to be kept secure since they have a high price on their heads as a delicacy in restaurants paying up to 50,000-60,000 yuan ($7,322-$8,787 US) for large specimens. These two were approximately 3 ft. Viewing them was like looking down in a well about 5ft. deep. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but it was about 4:30PM and you had to extend the camera down and take photos of them in poor visibility. There is also a tall stone marker stating Giant Salamanders with a lot of Chinese character writing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3919.jpg
Views:	61311
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	8232

Name:	DSCN3909.jpg
Views:	12108
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	8233

Name:	DSCN3912.jpg
Views:	4295
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	8238

Name:	DSCN3915.jpg
Views:	2023
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	8239

Name:	DSCN3913.jpg
Views:	1498
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	8240

Name:	DSCN3917.jpg
Views:	208849
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	8241
Returning from the mountains, we stopped at a hotel for a college reunion lunch of one of our friends/tour guides. Upon entering the hotel lobby, there was a poster placed on an easel with a lot of Chinese writing, but what struck me was a picture of a large salamander. The worker hosting the lunch informed my wife which translated to me that it is informing the public of conservation efforts for the salamanders. I saw a second poster at the entrance of the dining room where we ate. The Chinese government is educating the public of the critical status of this protected specie. Internet searches have brought up breeding programs to expand their numbers.

Name:	DSCN3926.jpg
Views:	5277
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	8242

Back to our Chinese home base of Changsha (capital of Hunan Province), I saw another A. davidianys at a reptile side show at Memorial Park. This one was approximately 2 ft. in length and held in a glass tank with an outer glass-viewing window making photography once again difficult.

Name:	DSCN4079.jpg
Views:	1654
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	8244

On previous trips, I have seen two other specimens approximately 3 ft. in length housed separately in large tile basins at the Changsha zoo.

RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Chinese Giant Salamander, Andrias davidianys

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Old 28th October 2009   #3
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Thanks for sharing, Richard. It's all very insightful. Isn't it davidanus though?

Old 28th October 2009   #4
Travisdjtg

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: Travisdjtg is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting story, though its sad that such an amazing creature is held captive in such small confinements, for human entertainment.

Travisdjtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009   #5
Richard
(RPM)

Nationality:
Rep: RPM has given consistently good advice and informationRPM has given consistently good advice and informationRPM has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Thanks for sharing, Richard. It's all very insightful. Isn't it davidanus though?
John you are correct,
davidanus

Old 28th October 2009   #6
AaronK
(AaronK)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: AaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Chinese Giant Salamander, Andrias davidianus

Very neat, thanks for sharing.

AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010   #7
suztor

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: suztor has shown reliable knowledgesuztor has shown reliable knowledge

How did I go to both Changsha (3 days) and Zhangjiejie National Park (4 days) in June of 2008 and not see either of these things?!?!?! in the 4 days we were at the Park we hiked EVERYWHERE! we even took the stairs up to the top all 2,000 and some of them but tool the cable car down a few days later.

i saw no salamanders but man was it an amazing trip!

suztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010   #8
Richard
(RPM)

Nationality:

Hi Suztor,
The well style enclosures outside of Yellow Dragon Cave were recently constructed, probably within the last year or so as the mortar holding the stones together looks fresh as well as the other upgrades to the surrounding area. I was there back in 2002 and they were not set up. I've been to Memorial Park in Changsha three times, and this is the first time I saw an A. davidianus. Changsha zoo always has two. We maintain a condo in Changsha, so I am familar with the city.
Richard