Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Siren Question?

WildDeku

Reaction score
Well, I have been wondering if I should get a siren. I'ved had other aquatic pets. Currently own a texas map turtle. Used to have a pair of african clawed frogs. Currently I was given a 46g bowfront for my birthday. Its 3ft long, 1ft tall, 16inch wide in the front part, and 12 wide on the normal ends.

I was wondering if I can have one or two sirens in there.
I hear these fellas tend to be active more so as african clawed frogs. Which I used to have. But my question is, can they go in that tank, and can I have live plants in that tank. You know heavily planted. Floating plants, plants that cover the whole ground, tall plants on the back. Etc.

I heard something about amphumias or something like that. I dont like them as much as sirens. I like mudpuppys. But again not as much as sirens.
I like how the sirens have those frills. Only two front legs, a dog face. somewhatt active(for an amphibian). I was also trying to figure out what are good filters to use with amphibians.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful. Please and thank you for your time.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
That tank is too small for a siren unless you can find some dwarf sirens. An adult lesser siren can reach a length of around 24 inches while the greater siren has been known to exceed 36 inches.

WildDeku

Reaction score
That tank is too small for a siren unless you can find some dwarf sirens. An adult lesser siren can reach a length of around 24 inches while the greater siren has been known to exceed 36 inches.

So a dwarf siren can go in that? what is the biggest dwarf that can go happily in there?

WildDeku

Reaction score
I forgot to add... Where can you find dwarf sirens? Is it possible to find them in expos?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
A couple of dwarf sirens would fit comfortably in there (there max size is around 7.5 inches). They are offered sporadically at expos and I know of 2 websites that have them at various times throughout the year. Although, if you live in or near northern Florida you could go out and catch your own.

WildDeku

Reaction score
A couple of dwarf sirens would fit comfortably in there (there max size is around 7.5 inches). They are offered sporadically at expos and I know of 2 websites that have them at various times throughout the year. Although, if you live in or near northern Florida you could go out and catch your own.

How thick are they? :D Thicker than a pencil right? Also Iam going to the expo in pa which will be in 4days. I was wondering what kind of things I can expect to find there. Like of the following:

Dwarf Sirens
Barred salamander/newt
Aquatic salamanders/newts?
Anurans such as giant african bullfrogs?

I kinda dont like catching things anymore. I used to, but then I got screamed at, in some other forum. Kinda dont want to deal with that offline, so Id rather buy than catch. Long story short, i like to avoid problems such as catching things that I shouldnt catch, or just avoiding things in gen. xD Its okay if its hard to understand. Story short:I like to avoid conflict of any kind. :p But anywho yes.

Can the dwarf sirens be in a tank with fish, and plants? Do they carry those same frills as the larger ones?

Any other thing that I should look out for that is similar to a siren? :]

WildDeku

Reaction score
Also, forgot to add.. How should I set up the tank? I wanted a heavily planted tank or so. But Iam fine if it cant be that planted. Just would "like" it to be. Oh also what is the tank size for a lesser siren? Like I dont know which is bigger the lesser or the greater. But I was wondering out of the two what size of a tank is the minimum for one?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1