Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppy Spermatophore

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Today I witnessed tail fanning and body fanning. I just thought it was aggression or territorial statements. I came back an hour later and there it was! A big 1 inch high spermatophore from base to tip. I did notice since the temps in my basement has gotten cold that mudpuppy has gotten a swollen cloaca with a slight redness. Its 47 degrees F in my basement right now. The N. maculosus in 1st two pictures is 14 inches with a decent sized head. Thats the biggest spermatophore I've ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,305
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,249
  • IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,806

Msteffen

Reaction score
That's interesting.

Was the tail fanning just like a Triturus or something? As if he is wafting pheromones?

Mike

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
That's interesting.

Was the tail fanning just like a Triturus or something? As if he is wafting pheromones?

Mike

It wasn't completely like Triturus. The male stayed completely grounded and didn't stand on its legs. The behavior was more like Psuedotriton. A lot of the behavior took place under rocks which is very logical because females lay eggs on the underside of rocks. The behavior its self is pretty intense. I have a coupe big stones in the tank and the male definitely rearranged some of the heavier stones with his body movements. As far as pheromones, I'm sure he was dispersing his fair share.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1