Mudpuppies as food in supermarket

A

achiinto

Just heard from my local fish store that there are hundreds of Mudpuppies for sale in some Chinese supermarket in downtown. I think this is kind of crazy how this is possible. I being of Chinese original have never heard of this American species being ever shown up in Chinese Cultural dishes. However, I learned now that some people suggested it tastes good by making a Chinese style stew....

I am not suggesting to eat it, but I found it interesting how some species turned up showing on the plate where it was never on such cultural menu. This is sad that so many mudpuppies got caught from the wild for science test already disregarding the the possible decline in population. But now they are possible being threatened by being served as food?

i agree that it is curious that they have been included in traditional dishes. are they being used as substitutes for native species due to availability?

Although not an amphibian, red ear slides and snapping turtles (as well as others such as map turtles and softshell turtles) are shipped to Asian for food markets since the local or otherwise imported turtles are becoming increasingly harder to obtain. It might be that mudpuppies are being used in dishes instead of Andrias as they are protected and unlikely to make it to western food markets.

Did you asked the owner where they sell this animals and checked it? I am wondering if this is realy true. If so, it would be terrible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back