The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 19th June 2018   #1
Kingfisher

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path
Default Fishless Aquarium Cycling With Household Ammonia

Hi
I'm trying to do a fishless cycling of a new Finnex PX360 canister filter in a 10 gallon aquarium that I'm going to use as a intermediate home for my 2 juvenile axxies.
All I have in the tank only half full of water is a 2" Y PVC pipe, 2 artificial plants and 2 anubia barteri. I raised the temp to 85F, added an air stone. I put 2ml of ammonia in the water at the start 9 days ago to raise the level to 2 - 4 ppm. I just took the anubia barteri out of the tank today because the temperature might be too high for it. The edges of the leaves were getting wilted and turning brown.
My question is the ammonia level hasn't changed since I put it in, should I still be adding more ammonia in everyday or just leave it until the level goes down. Should I be doing anything else? This is the first time trying to do a fishless cycle.
Thanks in advance!

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, cycling