Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

For Jennifer: habitat of Neurergus strauchii

S

sergé

Dear Jennifer,

after seeing all the nice pictures of breeding results. Here a picture of their native habitat in eastern Turkey. Land habitat is often very bare (due to wood cutting and over grazing of sheep). Breeding streams are slow to fast (deeping on rainfall and snow melting) running and the animals are mostly found in the deep holes (right below on the picture). We got the impression that the males already left the water, and that the animals don't stay long in the water. We saw mainly females in the water and found also fresh laid eggs.
37080.jpg

all the best, Sergé

J

jennifer

Thank you!!
happy.gif
I continue to be amazed when I think about the kind of area these animals live in. If these animals only spend a brief breeding period in the water, where on the LAND area do they spend their time? Isn't it hot and dry? How do they survive this? Truly amazing.

S

sergé

You bet it is hot and dry. They must be able to spend a whole lotta time under the surface of these rocks. We think they mainly use those area's where many rocks have erodated so they can hide deep inside the rubbles that have come off. It would be nice to put a small microchip inside one animal and try to see how it survives the long hot summer.

A

alan

Whenever I think of Neurergus, the word "crevice" comes to mind.
happy.gif

Their lifestyle reminds me of the predominately subterranean forms of Salamandra. I assume these are effectively relict populations marooned by historical (post-glacial) climate changes?

J

juraj

Hello Serge,
have you got any info about temps, altitude etc. ?

N

nate

Looking at the photo, it's not that different from the habitat of Taricha torosa torosa in southern California...temporary, fast-flowing streams in semi-arid to arid chapparal. I'd bet the strauchii are staying along the streambed, in the root systems and rubble of the riparian zone.

Thanks so much for sharing that, Sergé.

S

sergé

Hi Alan,
the origin of Neuregus is not exactly known, they are related to Triturus, but their lifestyle might have had some shifts. They live between 1000-2000 meters above sea level, but remind that the Anatolian plateau is already 1000 meters above sea level. But they are restricted to specific streams.
Juraj, data on water quality etc will be published but roughly pH is alkaline 7-9 and water temperatures are from 11-17 degrees Celsius.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!