Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kaisers spotted newts

C

connor

hello
does anyone know how mucha kaisers spotted newt would cost?

A

aaron

$150+ for each would be a very low guess-that is, if you can find them.

~Aaron

J

john

I think we should actively discourage people from trying to acquiring these newts. Why? They may be beautiful but they are very shy. I raised mine from very small larvae that I received over a year ago. They are now about adult size. The slightest vibration can make them panic, they can't stand normal tank lighting (they will hide continuously) and for those people looking for beautiful "pets", well they may be beautiful but they must certainly be classed as a reluctant pet.

This species isn't for most people and certainly not for those that come to the hobby from the point of view of keeping unusual pets. I'm not one to try to keep a species to myself. I think most people would be disappointed with these newts and going by reports from experienced hobbyists they frequently die due to stress-related diseases brought on by unsuitable conditions that are fine for other species.

E

eddie

I dont know about kaiser newts but I agree on the neurergus being shy with the tank light on,I have a few neurergus strauchi that very seldom are seen with the tank light on,they are still juvenile but getting big quickly,must be eating in the dark.I have witnessed them eating on land and in water but only when i was very still watching.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1