The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Old 28th January 2004   #1
anthony

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I recently set up a 36 by 18 inch terrarium for a trio of sub adult Fire salamanders. Within an hour one was on top of the other and locked around it's arms. Has anyone observed this behavior before? It did not look like they were copulating to me.

Old 29th January 2004   #2
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

To my opinion this could be territorial behaviour between two males. In mating behaviour males clasps females from the belly side; in territorial behaviour males claps each other from the dorsal side. Although there is much discussion about if this behaviour is territorial, I am convinced that it is, because salamanders have excellent smell and can distinguish between males and females, but...sadly not much research on it has been done. Up un til now it has been observed in S.s. gallaica (by mr. Bas-Lopez), S. s. salamandra (by W. Kästle is remember correctly) and in S. algira tingitana (myself)

Old 30th January 2004   #3
matthew

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have seen a male S.s.salamandra clasp a female from above in a very tight grip. It was a very dramatic sight. I assumed that even if it wasn't copulation itself it was sexual.

Old 9th February 2004   #4
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I often made this observation in my S.s.terrestris group. I also think this behaviour is territorial. It looks different to the mating behaviour.
Paul

Tags
aggression, fire, salamanders

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 13th December 2019, 15:43 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.