The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Gallery Post photos of axolotls and set-ups.

Old 7th January 2007   #1
jacob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

This is one of the axolotls I got from a friend who also breeds them (this is an old picture, I traded the small rocks for large ones). He told me it is a "piebald" but I wasn't sure. I have leucistics with freckles, but this spot is solid black.

Any ideas?

Old 7th January 2007   #2
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think it is leucistic. I don't now what the spot is.

Old 8th January 2007   #3
annmarie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Please take a close up of the spot, ifit is possible. It just might be pigmentation. To me, from here, it appears to be a leutistic with a spot of pigmentation its leg, or s spec on a camera. Piebald guys are pretty neat if you ever manage to find one. Have you searched for piebald pics on here? I believe there may be some of piebald or harlequin somewhere floating arround here.

Old 10th January 2007   #4
jacob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes, I have seen pictures of them, but that is really not a spot on the lens, it's always been on her, even when she was small, and it has grown with her. She also has some normal leucistic-like freckles on her face. I will get a picture as soon as I can.

Old 10th January 2007   #5
annmarie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My very dark male has a black spot of pigmentation near his rear leg, he came like that when I got them. Even thought not piebald, very ineresting! Variation of the pigmentation especially on leutistics and goldens are intersting. I will try to find a picture of my axolotls "spot"

Old 10th January 2007   #6
lana

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have never seen that before Lol!

Old 10th January 2007   #7
Heihei
(heihei)

Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: heihei has started on the right path

my friend's male leucistic has a black spot, bit smaller than your axie's one, and on top of his head just before his eyes. His kids call him Dot the Spot. He's about 4.5-5 years old.

heihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007   #8
sherri

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My black axie Blackie also has a few white spots on her side. Its just her colouring

Old 11th January 2007   #9
jacob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sherri, do you have a pic of yours? I would love to see it, colour in axolotls can be crazy!

Old 11th January 2007   #10
lana

Gallery Images:
Comments:

what is piebald?

Old 11th January 2007   #11
sherri

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jacob, I'll try to get a pic of Blackie's spots Click the image to open in full size. Oh, and when I first saw Blackie, Orangina and their 9 brothers/sisters at the pet shop, there was one axie with a wonderful colouring. It was an albino with orange dots. But when I went back, it had been bought. Oh well,am not complaining, as I got Blackie and Orangina instead Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by sherrisixxx on January 11, 2007)

Old 4th July 2008   #12
Ian
(IanC)

Nationality:
Rep: IanC has started on the right path
Default Re: Piebald?

Dear Jacob

i have kept harlequins/pieds for many years, the animal shown is very simalr to a male i purchased in 1996 from Hollybush garden center is Stafford, the line resulting from that animal have developed to cover between 15%-70% coverage of black, these are compatable with the line originaly breed by Dougie Paul, these appear on the front cover of Peter Scotts 1981 book, good luck give it a try.

Regards
Ian

IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008   #13
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Dear Jacob

i have kept harlequins/pieds for many years, the animal shown is very simalr to a male i purchased in 1996 from Hollybush garden center is Stafford, the line resulting from that animal have developed to cover between 15%-70% coverage of black, these are compatable with the line originaly breed by Dougie Paul, these appear on the front cover of Peter Scotts 1981 book, good luck give it a try.

Regards
Ian
Ian,

Do you have any pictures of the harlequins? I'd love to see some. Out of all the axolotls I've raised the one below is the only thing close to harlequin that I've come up with.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008   #14
Quetzacoatl

Nationality:
Rep: Quetzacoatl has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Ian,

Do you have any pictures of the harlequins? I'd love to see some. Out of all the axolotls I've raised the one below is the only thing close to harlequin that I've come up with.

[IMG]http://img368.**************/img368/2988/axolotl1jx9.th.jpg[/IMG]

Quetzacoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008   #15
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The one on the right in the picture is stunning!!! I'd give my toes for one like that, but instead I'll just have to cross breed.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008   #16
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Isn't that the exact photograph that appeared on the cover of Peter Scott's book?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008   #17
oceanblue
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11

The picture is stunning but I think the orange in the tail is lighting artefact of the blood in the muscle and it is a black and white beast in reality. Jake's pirate is a very interesting marbled beast and I hope he manages to stabilise this variant by backcrossing or similar breeding techniques.

Unlike Jake, Ian has been reluctant to post recent pictures, I'd love to see a few nice pictures of pied axolotls which breed reasonably true!

oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piebald

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th December 2019, 06:12 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.