The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 27th September 2009   #1
benh

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: benh has shown reliable knowledgebenh has shown reliable knowledge
Default Little creatures in my tank...

Ok - so I've just this minute been shining a torch on my tank (not something I normally do...) and I noticed that there were quite a few little specs on the glass, and that whilst some of it was simply a bit of grime, some little specs are alive and zipping around

They're no bigger than this --> . <--- and might have the littlest tail? I was just a little freaked out since I've never spotted them before now, and only did so because they showed up in the torch light. They're too small to photograph really, but I was wondering whether someone could tell me what they might be? There must be quite a lot of them, and the only ones I can see are on the glass.
Do I need to worry about them? Or are these little mite-things expected in a tank with live plants etc? My Axolotl seems fine. If they are potentially harmful - how do I get rid?

Thanks again you lovely knowledgeable people!

benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009   #2
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Little creatures in my tank...

The good news is your water chemistry is in pretty good shape if you have little critters running around.

Have a look at this. It may help you identify what they are.

Most tank invaders are not an issue, so I wouldn't worry too much.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009   #3
benh

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: benh has shown reliable knowledgebenh has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Little creatures in my tank...

Phew!
Thanks a lot for the swift response Sludgemunkey. I'll sleep more soundly now I know! Cheers!

benh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creatures, tank