The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Old 26th October 2013   #1
Aplestris

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aplestris has started on the right path
Question Hibernating outside?

Hello all

I have a young Fire Salamander which I keep outdoors in my car port. I was planning on letting it hibernate through the winter outside but I'm not sure whether there is a great risk or not. Is it possible to leave it in South East England winter temperatures (anywhere from 5 to -7 degrees Celsius)? And if it is, should I change the setup to build a sort of hibernaculum? And is there any conditioning I need to do (ie feeding)?

The Salamander is a Captive Bred Salamandra Salamandra and eats very well and is almost 10cm long. I am unsure of how old it is though. I shall try to upload pictures of the setup and salamander tomorrow if it is needed but I really need to put my mind to rest. He (or she) is doing fine at the temperatures now (9 to 17 degrees Celsius).

Thanks for any help in advance

Aplestris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #2
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: Hibernating outside?

You must provide protection from frost and sub-zero temperatures. With the exception of a few species, salamanders do not have antifreeze abilities. Containers outdoors need lots of insulation to prevent freezing, even then it would not be safe for prolonged sub zero periods. Remember that the cold penetrates from all sides, unless of course you sink the container into the ground.

In the wild salamanders will secrete themselves below the frost line. I've found wintering Salamandra 2-3ft below the forest surface.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #3
Tappers

Nationality:
Rep: Tappers has given consistently good advice and informationTappers has given consistently good advice and informationTappers has given consistently good advice and information

How about a fridge hibernation? I've kept my kaiseri and marms over winter in this way before and they've done very nicely..

Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013   #4
Aplestris

Nationality:

Thankyou very much for both replies,
As far as I understand (which isn't too much) the temperature can't go below 0c ? If this is true I may bring the tank inside if there is a chance of it dropping below 0.
Tappers, I still live with my parents who would never allow that

Old 27th October 2013   #5
Aplestris

Nationality:

And if anyone needs pictures I have uploaded them in an album; I don't know how to post them although I think I did it on another thread
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members...alamander.html

Old 8th November 2013   #6
sonic
(benw)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I would put in somewhere like a garage or similar, near the floor but not on it, and as Mark said it will still need a degree of protection, I personally don't hibernate mine, just cool them in a side room of the house for the winter months.
They still feed, but not so often

SALAMANDRA KEPT - algira algira, algira tingitana, alfredschmidti, almanzoris,atra atra, bejarae,bernadezi,bechkovi,corsica,crespoi,fastuos a,gallaica, gigliolli,hispanica,infraimaculata semenovi, lanzai, longirostris,morenica, salamandra,terrestris( red, solling,normal), werneri,
benw is offline   Reply With Quote