Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

mixing Axolotls with frogs

firedragon92

Reaction score
would you be able to mix axolotls with frogs that are large enough not to be eaten or will they also nip the axolotls gills

cheers

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would strictly advice against any mixing of species; there have been several stories and threads around here discussing this problem. Have a look at Species Mixing Disasters if not done already.
A frog being big enough not to get swallowed by an Axolotl (for instance African Clawed Toads) would readily be able to do some big damage to Axolotls.

Dawn

Reaction score
I saw a large Golden Albino aquatic toad in with a large axolotl at the weekend (at a pet shop).
They both were unharmed but I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I saw a large Golden Albino aquatic toad in with a large axolotl at the weekend (at a pet shop).
They both were unharmed but I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Pet shops tend to do this all the time to save space and money on housing. Many times the animals don't interact due to bad husbandry, stress or overcrowding.

Housing frogs and axolotls together is a bad idea as someone will more than likely be attacked. There are also few fully aquatic frogs and many of those are chytrid carriers which may infect the axolotl. Most of the aquatic frogs are tropical and prefer higher temperatures than axolotls which means poor housing conditions for at least one animal.

firedragon92

Reaction score
Thanks for your help i definatly wont be doing that and will just stick with the axolotls in the tank

cheers

Bikebiddy

Reaction score
I have my axolotyls in an outside pond and at this time of year the frogs go there to breed. NZ native frogs are rare but Australian bell frogs live here in the North Island. It's really nice to see them together but it is sad to think the axis would eat any eggs or tadpoles. I didn't realise frogs could hurt axis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!