Illness/Sickness: Heavy bloat pleurodeles waltl.

Davy58

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello forum members,

My 15 yo P Waltl. Has come down with bloat. It started after my last post when he had white spots on his back.. I gave him a few salt baths and his skin slowly got better.. So I've put him back with the others. A few weeks after that he was getting fatter. I did not put him in quarantaine.. The other 3 are fine. Still he's eating and swimmin normal. Turns back around when 'flipped'. Only his belly is bloated. He's like this for 5 months now.

Are there people who expierenced this? And can it be helped? Ive read the article about bloat from 2002..

Dont want to lose him.

Thanks,

Davy

Attachments

• DSC_0138.jpg
    DSC_0138.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 253
So sorry to read about your guy! What is his status? I just joined a few days ago, and came across your post, which looks like it's from May. Did he get better? My Tiger Salamander is currently bloated, and I have taken her to several vets to try to find the cause. She stopped eating over a month ago, but one of the vets showed us how to feed her a formula with a syringe. We have also just begun letting her soak in a half inch of Ringer's amphibian solution each night. We have a return appointment with the vet this Friday. Would like to know if you were able to find the cause of the bloat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back