Plants for pachytriton

W

william

i've got a spider plant and a few of those floating water hyacinths in my tank what other plants would be good for my pachytriton

Will,
Is yours a fully aquatic set-up? Mine have done ok so far with no real plants. Im gonna get some. I would say duckweed is a cool floating plant. But i dont suggest duckweed if you have a real good light system. It multiplys like rabbits.

Hi Hayden,
The good about duckweed is that it is an excellant water purifier if you have the proper conditions to grow it. I use it in a bunch of my tanks here at home and at work and just skim it off a couple of times a week with a small net.

Ed

The bad thing about duckweed is that it sticks to your arm when you put it in the tank!
lick.gif

how about canadian pond weed i've got duckweed on the top with the hyacinths

I meant elodea canadensis I't a common introduction in England I should probably clean it first though should I?

Hello! I have various live plants in my Pachytriton tank. The water in my area is relatively hard, and I've found that Anubias, Elodea, and even Hygrophila species will do well. Currently, my tank also contains java fern and Bolbitis finger fern (which does not tolerate any jostling or moving well, but is otherwise a favorite with my newt). Because my 20L aquarium is half-filled with water, I also have some type of lily and a piece of a common houseplant (I'm pretty sure it's a Pothos species) that grows like mad to the point that it has pushed its way out of one of the hood holes and is growing up my wall.

I recently added duckweed to my tank (I also have the ever-fantastic java-moss), which I got from my local wetlands. The amount I got only covers about 1-2 square inches, but already it adds a lot to the tank. My lighting is pretty good, so how long would you guys say it would take to cover most of the surface of a 10 gallon tank? I've had it in there for about a week now.

depending on lighting, elodea should work well. I myself have duckweed floating in my aquarium, but tend to look upon it as a pest, or at best a way to get rid of nitrates
happy.gif

Water hycaninth won't do well in an aquarium for the long term. If you have high lighting, you could try pistia stratoides...water lettuce. I put 3 plants in my 46 gallon bowfront(96 watts of CF lighting and ferts) and in 3 weeks and removed over 20.

Hey, has anyone ever had any problems keeping paddletails in a tank with Fluorite as a substrate? I'm worried that any clay-based substrate may get stirred up too often when my newt is searching for food.

I have kept Cynops and Triturus on "flora base" with no problems. It does get stirred up a little during water changes, but it settles out quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back