Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Wisconsin

NedeauOwen

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 14 year old has been enamored of axolotls and blob fish for a couple of years. I am considering getting him a tank and set up for Christmas. My wife and had a 55 gal. Community tank with wonderful cichlids for fifteen years then converted it to a home for an iguana our family adored for several years. We haven't had a tank since we moved to Wisconsin however and I am feeling rusty. What do I need to know to help my son out?
He kept a couple of African frogs for almost three years so I believe he has the temperament for amphibians generally. Please advise.

Ashley

MnGuy

Reaction score
Welcome. You'd have to cycle a tank before you add an axoltl, so the best route may be to either get him a gift certificate, or, get him the tank and supplies for Christmas and wait to get the axoltl when the tank is cycled.

You can find info on cycling by searching the forum; might be more useful than rehashing it here.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1