Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Water chiller questions

Renard

Reaction score
Hi all, I really need some help as it would seem that I am very out of my depth and have shed many tears over the stress of this :(:(
Last summer, my axolotl got fungus and so I decided to ask for a water chiller from family and friends for my birthday.

I now have a second-hand Hailea 150A water chiller and looked at the instructions only to realise that an external filter was most likely required. I happily used the rest of my birthday money for a second-hand fluval 306 external filter. The filter seemed to be having issues with leaking so I bought a new o seal online as that is what the forums suggested and replaced it however it is still leaking and doesn’t seem to work in conjunction with the chiller.

I was just reading online in the few places that seemed to know how chillers work (as they are very very very rare in the UK and I know nobody who has ever even heard on them) and they mention that maybe the filter isn’t powerful enough and will damage the cooler or itself and that a pump is needed.

I feel so overwhelmed!!!!!! I just have no idea how the set up is meant to be or what I am supposed to use. I am a student so have very little money and I don’t want to get this wrong or buys something that is not needed. If anybody could dumb down what I need to know about my chiller set up and give me some sort of advice I would be grateful beyond words as I feel so so so overwhelmed and have no idea which way to turn next. I have had so many problems already with setting up this chiller, including almost flooding where I live, and I am just hoping that I can get some advice and direction from anyone who knows more than me about these things.

Renard

Reaction score
Okay so I managed to get it working but I've heard so many horror stories about breaking my chiller that I'm now scared I am doing so. Does anyone know the minimum flow rate needed for the Hailea 150A?

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
you could google the instruction book for that model to find the min flow, if you need to have a faster flow rate you can rig up a pond pump to provide the extra lift (usually cheaper then ones made for aquariums)

basically with chillers just be sure that the pump is AFTER the chiller to PULL water out of it instead of pumping water into it.
my set up is like this: Intake with sponge filter-> chiller -> Canister filter-> output spray bar

if you have a HOB filter you can use a pump in place of a canister filter and if you have a canister that is too weak you can add a pump to the system after the canister

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!