Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Central Cali Tigers

David Tobler

Reaction score
With the recent rains, brings the start of a new herping season here in Central California. I normally don't look for tigers in December, but I couldn't resist with the weather pattern we've had. Hopefully this will the beginning of an eventfull herping season. All it has to do is keep raining...:confused:

Here's a few pics:

ambycal1208a1.jpg

ambycal1208a2.jpg

ambycal1208b1.jpg

ambycal1208c1.jpg

ambycal1208c2.jpg

bufobor1208.jpg

California Toad

speaham1208.jpg

Western Spadefoot

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent shots!!

I agree with you that the weather right now is perfect if we are going to have a decent spring season. Hopefully it lasts.

I live up in El Dorado County and have been out a couple times. It seems as if the Ensatina's up here are still dormant. I plan on going out again when this system rolls through and looking around.

Let me know if you are putting a trip together. I would love to join up and get some herping in.

David Tobler

Reaction score
Excellent shots!!

I agree with you that the weather right now is perfect if we are going to have a decent spring season. Hopefully it lasts.

I live up in El Dorado County and have been out a couple times. It seems as if the Ensatina's up here are still dormant. I plan on going out again when this system rolls through and looking around.

Let me know if you are putting a trip together. I would love to join up and get some herping in.

Yeah, I'll let you know if I make it your way this year.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Great shots as always David. That Western Spadefoot looks like one of them stress balls that when you squeeze it, it's eyes bulge out.:grin:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Great photos, as ever, David. Thank you for sharing with us. That Spadefoot is proof that aliens have visited the earth and are living amongst us.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Are these endangered?
Yes, they face habitat destruction and interbreeding with introduced alien races of tiger salamander. They are one of the most highly protected species in the US (both at a state and federal level). Their status is the reason that all members of the genus Ambystoma are illegal to possess in California, and no one anywhere in the US can possess California Tiger Salamanders.

Bobby7489

Reaction score
Those Cali Tiger Salamanders look sweet. I have a tiger, but I don't know what type it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Yes, illegal to own and you could possibly get in trouble if you "disturb" them in anyway... I'm sure that even photographing them could get you in hot water if your motives were misconstrued...
I personally think these photos are terrific... just be careful if you try to handle/move your subjects.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1