Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrestrial Species V.S. Aquatic Species

T

tyler

I'm sure that this was once a topic in the past and I'm not trying to start any wars; I'm just trying to get the pros and cons of owning a terrestrial species and an aquatic species.

J

joan

My opinion:

Aquatic species more active than terrestrial. Easier to see. Terrestrial species don't live in water, so you don't need to worry about water quality and cycling. They tend to be fossorial, so you don't see them as much.

Both are great to have!

T

tyler

Is there any possible way that I can get an active and outgoing species that doesn't involve worrying about water quality and cycling? lol doubt it thanks for your post anyways Joan.

ali

Reaction score
Don't be too intimidated about water quality (don't ignore it either). All I did was set up my tank about a month in advance (longer is maybe better?) then put my little newties in. I clean the gravel about once every 2-3 weeks and everything goes fine with my filter and all.

G

garrison

If anything, at least for me, cycling an aquarium 1 month prior to getting my new acquisition gives me time to get more excited about it and really accomplish some research before I get the animal. This allows me to really be prepared for introduction etc.

J

joseph

With terrestrial sals you have to be concerned about moisture levels. It seems and is much easier to me to just keep them totally wet.

T

tyler

Is it more expensive to do the water way? In a sense I would like to get a newt because it wouldn't be buried all the time. I'm just as Ali said "intimidated" by it all: all those pumps, filters, and gadgets.

W

william

you don't need any of the gadgets as long as you can ensure that you can keep the water quality at an optimum level. especially for some of the easier species. i don't use any "gadgets" for my newt tanks.

A

abrahm

Depending on the newt species all that you would really need as far as a filter goes is a sponge filter which sell for around 20 dollars total.

These filters should provide plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria, require almost zero maintenance and keep the water well oxygenated. They don't do much for mechanical filtration but in my opinion that's really not necessary if you watch your water parameters and do partial water changes.

J

jennifer

I think it really comes down to personal preference. Maintaining water is a hassle in some ways, but changing out dirty soil from a terrestrial setup is a hassle in other ways.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1