Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The worms have it!!

K

kara

After reading upon earthworms as food for y newts, and recommendations from many users, Yesterday after a big rain in my area I collected some nice sized earth worms.
My paddle-tail and my taricha which I have had for approx. 2 months have been fed on a diet of small meal worms and a cricket or two, (only the paddle tail ate the cricket)
I cut up an earth worm in to four pieces and gave two pieces each to the newts, they ate them right away, voraciously, and looked very happy! I think I will be making the switch, but using meal worms as well on occasion. I get the meal worms for free, and will start buying earth worms from a local bait shop. The newts really seemed to enjoy them, I wish I would have tried sooner! However, I have a question; can I feed everyday/other day wit earthworms? A smaller amount, than two meal worms every couple days?

jessica

Reaction score
I've been keeping Long-Toed Salamanders for about 3 years now but i have never really had success in feeding them until now. I've tried crickets, salamander food and much more but they never ate anything which resulted in me having to let them go. This year i finally switched to worms that I dig up and its worked fantastically. They love them! Problem is, the worms are kind of hard to find so i suggest buying them from a bait store. By the way, when the salamanders are still in larvae form they love fish food. Hope I could be of some help!
happy.gif

Jessica

jessica

Reaction score
Kara B-
I don't know how big your salamander is, but my long toed is 3 inches long and i feed him two approx. 3/4 inch long worms every other day. If yours is bigger than you should probably feed it more often.
Jessica

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!