Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Luring worms from the soil

W

wyatt

how do you lure earthworms out of the soil? can you make a "trap" to catch them? it is just a lot of work finding worms for my newts. if i could lure them out it would save a lot of hassle.

justin

Reaction score
hi you could try a bucket of water with some washing up liquid but you must wash the worms after also laying abit of old carpet or cloth sack down in a corner of your garden and keep it wet so it does,nt dry out cheers justin

han

Reaction score
Hi
Using water with washing up liquid is a bad idea:
it'll effect the worms'taste and live-span and washing up liquid isn't very healthy to amphibians.
Better look for moist, grassy area's like meadows
or the lawn in your back-yard, best moment from dusk till dawn, especially when its raining.
Use a dung-fork,put it slantwise into the lawn
as far as possible and tap its stick regularly by hand. Be patient. When there are worms in the soil, they"ll crawl to the surface, frightened by the mole they expect to come. You just have to pick'm up. At some spot you'll find a dozen or two, at others a poor two worms. Electricity (strong battery) makes another way of luring the worms out but they"ll die within 10 minutes.

Han

thomas

Reaction score
Han, wont tapping the stick scare them away?
When i dig for worms i don`t dig for more than a few minutes at the same place, because they are clearly "running away" because of the vibrations digging makes in the ground.
I use coconut shells mixed in moist soil(in a shady spot) and a carpet on top to keep it moist if i want to attract worms

Thomas

M

mark

Tapping the soil surface mimics the sound of rain and attracts worms. Certain birds perform a funny dance using their feet to "paddle" the floor which has the same effect.

If you have a garden I'd try starting a worm culture outdoors in a bin or big bucket. It's far easier than digging up the flower beds.
happy.gif

E

edward

There are reports of wood turtles (Glyptemys insculpa) peforming a stomping dance to bring worms to the surface.

If there is a good worm population inserting a rod into the ground at an angle and moving it side to side can cause worms to surface. The thought is that this may mimic the vibrations of moles moving through the soil causing the worms to surface to avoid the mole.
Check out this variation called worm fiddling.

http://www.arts.state.al.us/actc/articles/wormfiddling.htm

Ed

han

Reaction score
Once you've found a rich hunting-ground, the vibration-method (by fork or rod) works out very
well: i need some 15 minutes to pick up 50
worms, all sizes. When kept cool (fridge) and in the soil they were living in, it's easy to keep
the worms in good shape for weeks. This regular
earthworm (Lumbricus lumbellus)isn't as productive as f.i. Dendrobena but a breeding-colony produces enough offspring to cover a winter-period.
Han.

P

phoebe

Stamping on wet grass/soil is good, they usally come up in 5 minutes for me

J

joseph

Ed: That is very interesting on the wood turtles!

I hear the battery/electrode method is quite dangerous.

You could also plop a carpet or sack as suggested before and perhaps add some food for the worms under it...maybe grass clippings or an apple core(if you have no scavengers around).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1