Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding earthworms---earthworm with eggs?

J

jenna

1.)Can someone give me a site that talks about breeding earthworms?

2.) I found an earthworm that has tiny white specks all along it. It is acting normal (very wiggly and such). Is this a parasite or eggs? If it is eggs, how can I help the worm lay healthy eggs? If a parasite, should I still feed the worm to my Ensatina Salamanders?

J

joseph

Do a search on vermiculture and that should bring up lots of sites. Also breeding redworms...but keep in mind these sites discuss Eisenia foetida(the baitstore red wiggler).

White dots on the worm are not eggs. Worms lay large egg cases. I don't think I'd use the worms but according to what I've read here many worms carry a parasitic load anyway.

J

jenna

Well, I just found a bunch of other worms while getting some grub for my sallies, and 3 out of 5 have the white dots. I don't know any bait shops around here so I think I might HAVE to use them, unless I find some more worms...

J

jenna

Should I chop the worms up (disgusting!) or should I feed them whole and alive? I don't know whether I should be very worried about feeding yet, the salamanders are very stressed right now and I think they're still getting used to their environment.

J

jennifer

If the worms are too big, yes, you have to chop them. The link I gave above shows how, so it's not too-too disgusting. I don't know what you mean about the worm having white spots along it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!