Habitat of Triturus marmoratus at central Spain

R

rubén

Habitat of Pleurodeles watl and Triturus marmoratus in the high plateau of central Spain . The marbled newts leaves the water at Juny , Pleurodeles waltl remains all the year.

25901.jpg

25902.jpg

Neat! I am amazed that P. waltl and T. marmoratus live together in the same pond.

May I post your habitat photo on Caudata Culture? I would like to put it in the entry for P. waltl.

Hi jennifer . Of course you can do it... In the arid regions of central Spain there isn't too much water points , so you can see together many anphibians . This is a small lake in Valladolid province , where you can find Mauremys leprosa , Pleurodeles waltl and Triturus marmoratus . However Pleurodeles waltl prefers deep waters without vegetation , so is difficult find these 2 species in the same point of the lake . In addition , when arrives the spanish hot summer ( 28 - 40 ºc in august ) , the marbled newts goes to the forest of Quercus faginea/Quercus ilex/Juniperus thurifera and "disappears" for 3/4 months . anyway , the marbled newts of this province are very colourfull and had a small size ( 11 - 12 cm ) , maybe due to the specially weather conditions of dryness

In the high plateau of central Spain! Oh, how I wish I could be there!

Hi Michael...
unfortunately I don't keep photos of Mauremys leprosa
sad.gif
. I didn't see Emys orbicularis in this lake , anyway is really difficult find these two species in the same place ( competitivity between them is terrible ) . In general ( not always ) Emys orbicularis prefers mountain places , with cleaner water . On the other this lake have popolations of Rana perezi , Hyla arborea , Alytes obstetricans boscai , Bufo calamita , Pelodytes punctatus , Natrix maura and Natrix natrix . In the forest lives Canis lupus signatus and Sus scrofa . If you or another person wants more information , contact with me .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back