Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

40g Breeder for S. Intermedia

Cadillac

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 40g breeder and was looking at different type of fish. I mentioned to someone that I liked water snake like fish and long story short it led me to Siren intermedia. 1) is a 40g breeder big enough in the right ways for one, and 2) where do I even start in trying to locate one? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cadillac

Reaction score
Sorry, I realize that this is in the wrong section but only noticed immediately after I posted it.

Tarabull

Reaction score
I know this post is older but maybe you are still looking for an answer.

1) The care sheet for them says a 40 breeder is fine. With one of my lessers it isn't. Most sirens are sold as S. Intermedia so you could be getting a S. Intermedia Nettingi, which are larger. I have one that is around 4 years old and he is 21.5 inches long. He lives in a 75 gallon tank. Anything less, I think, would be small and cramped. I have another smaller one in a 45 gallon tank, but he/she is only a little over a year old, 12ish inches and not fully grown. I think it may not grow as large and is a different variety of lesser siren than my older one, guaging by the size, color, and age.

2) Backwater reptiles has them for sale right now.

I hope that helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1