Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl floating and not eating, no change after full week in fridge

GalacticNexus

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago, the younger of my two Axolotls took a bit of a turn and stopped eating after some overfeeding caused a water-quality drop. I did daily water changes and the water quality is back down to safe levels, but he's started floating almost constantly. I know floating is often a sign of impaction/gas, but the weird thing is that if he gets spooked he'll swim down and burp, but half an hour later he'll be back to drifting around on the surface. Last week I tried fridging him and every time I checked on him and change the water he was on the bottom, but as soon as I put him back in the tank he's gone back to floating.

He was always a picky eater and refused to eat earthworms like his tankmate (spat them out no matter how small they were cut), but until this all happened he would happily eat a few pellets per day. Now he's barely eaten in a few weeks and I'm worried that the poor guy will starve.

Any suggestions as to why he might be choosing to float and why he still isn't eating?

Axolotlee

Reaction score
Don't fridge him make sure the water is at least 64 degrees constantly you have to get a chiller they run a pretty penny but saves you the hassle or put him and the tank in the room with air conditioner. They don't like temp changes and a few degrees will cause stress. I have 6 axolotyl 2 blue filled adults 2 juries and 2 babies and my blue gill just laid eggs so ill be welcoming a bunch of blue gills. They all eat different I feed the babies blood worms the two juvies and one adult like earth worms . the one adult does not have such a big appetite she eats blood worms and small pieces of. Cooked shrimp. So no fridge! Keep at steady temp 64 and try new things to feed him,roaches,live ghost shrimp,cooked shrimp or worms they all like different stuff. All mines hate the pellets? good luck

GalacticNexus

Reaction score
I can say with full certainty that temperature is not the issue. My tank's ambient/room temperature currently hangs around 14°C (less than 58°F), so a cooler is unnecessary.

I've just done a water test and my parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite ~0.25, maybe a little over
Nitrate 5.0

I'm still doing daily 20% water changes to knock those two down to 0. Are they high enough to be causing harm?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Nitrate is okay, just keep up with those water changes to bring nitrites down and stop nitrates going higher. Was your tank fully cycled before this happened?
Is his full body floating or just the back side? Sometimes my axolotls float for the fun of it, but if it's mainly the backside it could be gas.
What kind of earthworms are you using? I recently found out that red wrigglers can have a nasty taste and some axolotls don't like it. I've been struggling feeding Bucky as he keeps spitting them out, so I'm sourcing some nightcrawlers.

GalacticNexus

Reaction score
Yeah the tank was definitely fully cycled before this; it's been running for about 6 months now.

He's full body floating. What I don't get is why he would do it constantly. Like I said, if spooked, he might sink for a few minutes, but before I know it he's back on the surface. He gulps very often too, which would make me suspect low-oxygen if his tankmate weren't fine.

I'm using European nightcrawlers (Dendrobaena worms) to feed the other axolotl. Before he stopped eating full stop, the problem child would occasionally snap at any that fell past his face, or go for one that spent a long time wriggling at his feet, but would promptly spit them out.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to go from here. What do you have in your tank for oxygen? Filter, sponge filter, air stone, etc? I don't know if the oxygen levels could affect individual axolotls differently?

GalacticNexus

Reaction score
Sadly the poor little guy pass away last night. I wish I could've known how to help him, but at least he isn't suffering anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1