Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Here comes trouble

H

halszka

Just to prove me wrong, I woke up to a whole bunch of eggs all over the remaining plants in my axolotl tank.

38932.jpg

Aarrgh! lol :D

Here is a shot of the instigator, looking mighty pleased with himself!

38933.jpg

And this is one of the potential culprits!

38934.jpg

I checked the page on breeding from axolotl.org and my eggs are half dark and half white, not all white or all dark like those on the page. Is that normal?

I don't know what to do with them now. I certainly don't have the time to look after any number of them. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea buying Mulac... but he was irresistable! He might have to go into a 2L glass goldfish bowl.. like the ones the Axolotl Colony keeps their males in..
sick.gif

A

anne-marie

I guess it's that time of year, Halszka. You can put the eggs in the freezer before they start developing if you don't want to keep them. My eggs are half black and white too.

H

halszka

That's what I might have to do. I'll think it over today. Maybe I could try raising just a few.

V

vanessa

dont put the eggs in the freezer, if u dont want them ill have them. i have plenty of room, plus i live in perth so it would be easy for me to get them. by the way, i have the sisters, or at least i think they are sisters, to your golden albino and albino axie. i got them off anne-marie. i got a wild-type and a golden albino. one of the pics of your golden in the axie gallery made me think that it was a pic of my axie and not yours.lol.
happy.gif

H

halszka

If you want the eggs you're more than welcome to them!!! :D I'll even drop them off, unless you prefer to collect them yourself. I can't raise them but it would be awesome if someone else could.

B

brian

I wish my axies were old enough to breed, but that probably won't be happening for another 6 months or so.

C

cynthia

I am kind of dreading my younger axolotls getting old enough to breed, I believe one of them is male. All 3 of my older ones are female and full of eggs.

It is so tempting to raise the young, but they are so hard to find homes for here.

R

rita

cry.gif
Everyone seems to have no problems getting their Axies to breed...
I have a mature couple who I'd love to get together and make little axies, but they wont. Could this be because of the three younger axies who they live with?? they all get on rather well, but I do have another tank that I could try putting Malcom and Desdamona into for some 'private time'. Would that help??

A

anne-marie

How mature are they and what is the water chemistry like?

L

lisa

Private time in a small tub will help, if they are both mature and they feel up to it.
From reading others posts, a drop in temp can trigger spawning. A few months ago there was a string of aussie axie spawnings, in relation to our winter kicking in.
Some if it is conditions, some of it is luck. I had 3 in a tank together for 3 months, nothing. Then within 2 weeks, two seperate spawnings.
In any case, baby axies take an awful lot of time and money to take care of, and the decision should be thought through and researched carefully beforehand.

R

rita

Desdamona is approximately 3 years old(probably a bit more) and Malcom is around 2ish. When winter kicked in, those two didn't do anything. (Besides having a slight increase in appetite). lols
I know that babies take alot of time and money, that's why I haven't tried breeding beforehand, because I didn't have either of those.
I'll probably have to set up another tank, one of my younger females is reaching maturity, and I don't really want her to breed quite yet.

R

rita

Good question, Hayley-Jane. Someone want to tell me that one too??

V

vanessa

when u look at the female axie from above u should be able to tell she is full of eggs by the fatness of her stomach. she will be really round and alot wider than your male.lol.
happy.gif

R

rita

Well, if that's the case, Desdamona's not carrying any eggs!!!! but Tybalt and Kate are!!! That's not quite what I wanted... silly little creatures. lols

H

hayley-jane

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Vanessa Joy wrote on Monday, 22 August, 2005 - 01:56 :</font>

"she will be really round and alot wider than your male.lol."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

But what if you have no male?

My female is on her own.

V

vanessa

well then she will be thin like a male ill show you a picture if it helps. the brown one is a female and the albino is the male. as you can see the female is ALOT wider than the male, if your female has no eggs then she should look like the male. oh and ill show you a picture of my female white axie with eggs and without eggs.
happy.gif
42356.jpg
42357.jpg
42358.jpg
42359.jpg

V

vanessa

see how when my white female wasnt mature she looked skinny and kind of scrawny and then in the next photo she looks pretty fat and filled out. that means she is full of eggs.hope this helps.
happy.gif

R

rita

Well, it looks like it's Malcom who's the problem, not the girls!!!!
violent.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1