Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Piebald?

J

jacob

75954.jpg

This is one of the axolotls I got from a friend who also breeds them (this is an old picture, I traded the small rocks for large ones). He told me it is a "piebald" but I wasn't sure. I have leucistics with freckles, but this spot is solid black.

Any ideas?

C

cameron

I think it is leucistic. I don't now what the spot is.

A

annmarie

Please take a close up of the spot, ifit is possible. It just might be pigmentation. To me, from here, it appears to be a leutistic with a spot of pigmentation its leg, or s spec on a camera. Piebald guys are pretty neat if you ever manage to find one. Have you searched for piebald pics on here? I believe there may be some of piebald or harlequin somewhere floating arround here.

J

jacob

Yes, I have seen pictures of them, but that is really not a spot on the lens, it's always been on her, even when she was small, and it has grown with her. She also has some normal leucistic-like freckles on her face. I will get a picture as soon as I can.

A

annmarie

My very dark male has a black spot of pigmentation near his rear leg, he came like that when I got them. Even thought not piebald, very ineresting! Variation of the pigmentation especially on leutistics and goldens are intersting. I will try to find a picture of my axolotls "spot"

heihei

Reaction score
my friend's male leucistic has a black spot, bit smaller than your axie's one, and on top of his head just before his eyes. His kids call him Dot the Spot. He's about 4.5-5 years old.

S

sherri

My black axie Blackie also has a few white spots on her side. Its just her colouring

J

jacob

Sherri, do you have a pic of yours? I would love to see it, colour in axolotls can be crazy!

S

sherri

Jacob, I'll try to get a pic of Blackie's spots
happy.gif
Oh, and when I first saw Blackie, Orangina and their 9 brothers/sisters at the pet shop, there was one axie with a wonderful colouring. It was an albino with orange dots. But when I went back, it had been bought. Oh well,am not complaining, as I got Blackie and Orangina instead
talker.gif

(Message edited by sherrisixxx on January 11, 2007)

IanC

Reaction score
Dear Jacob

i have kept harlequins/pieds for many years, the animal shown is very simalr to a male i purchased in 1996 from Hollybush garden center is Stafford, the line resulting from that animal have developed to cover between 15%-70% coverage of black, these are compatable with the line originaly breed by Dougie Paul, these appear on the front cover of Peter Scotts 1981 book, good luck give it a try.

Regards
Ian

Jake

Reaction score
Dear Jacob

i have kept harlequins/pieds for many years, the animal shown is very simalr to a male i purchased in 1996 from Hollybush garden center is Stafford, the line resulting from that animal have developed to cover between 15%-70% coverage of black, these are compatable with the line originaly breed by Dougie Paul, these appear on the front cover of Peter Scotts 1981 book, good luck give it a try.

Regards
Ian

Ian,

Do you have any pictures of the harlequins? I'd love to see some. Out of all the axolotls I've raised the one below is the only thing close to harlequin that I've come up with.
file_425.jpg

Jake

Reaction score
The one on the right in the picture is stunning!!! I'd give my toes for one like that, but instead I'll just have to cross breed.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't that the exact photograph that appeared on the cover of Peter Scott's book?

oceanblue

Reaction score
The picture is stunning but I think the orange in the tail is lighting artefact of the blood in the muscle and it is a black and white beast in reality. Jake's pirate is a very interesting marbled beast and I hope he manages to stabilise this variant by backcrossing or similar breeding techniques.

Unlike Jake, Ian has been reluctant to post recent pictures, I'd love to see a few nice pictures of pied axolotls which breed reasonably true!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1