Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

African dwarf frog eggs!

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Hello there,

About 2 months ago I purchased 3 ADFS from the pet store 1 male and 2 females. Today when I came back from school I plopped in a frozen bloodworm cube in their tank and noticed little eggs on the surface and the bottom as well. I am expecting more considering shes still plump but I have yet to see the Amplexus. I brought out about 30 eggs into a tupperware container, but there is still some in the adults tank. I already have infusoria culture ready for them from my guppy fry.

What I want to know is how long do the eggs take to hatch and when to start feeding them? Also is infusoria a good food to start with?

Thanks in advance!

-Frank

Attachments

• DSC00460.jpg
    DSC00460.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 61,209
  • DSC00461.jpg
    DSC00461.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 23,526
  • DSC00469.jpg
    DSC00469.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11,475
  • DSC00471.jpg
    DSC00471.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 27,201
  • DSC00472.jpg
    DSC00472.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 19,824
  • DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 47,796
Last edited:

merk199

Reaction score
Infusoria will work well in the beginning. But as soon as they are free swimming start your BBS cultures. In my opinion these guys are extremely difficult to raise. At about the 10-14 day mark I experienced 100% mortality. I tried raising 3 batches over the last couple of months. Make sure you keep the tad cups heated if needed. I kept mine over a covered sterilite bin with water and a heater inside.

Couple of lessons I think I learned:

Feed BBS at least three times a day most likely would benefit with up to 6 small feedings daily. (finding the time to siphon and feed three times a day was extremely challenging)

Keep up cleaning out the BBS remnants at next cleaning

Keep 10-15 per 16 oz cup

I think that adding duckweed to the cups may be beneficial in the tad cups the tads may be able to eat the roots a little, use for cover, and filter the water a little.

Ultimately I stopped after batch three because of time constraints and the lack of anyone to take any of the babies when grown. I don't think I have any friends or family who would take them. So the only viable alternative would be to set up a few tanks for any lucky enough to make it through. Ultimately the reward was not enough for me to continue trying this year. I may try again some point next year. My darts, and caudates are taking up the majority of my time right now.

Joost

Reaction score
A friend of mine bred these years ago. All the eggs were left in the (large) tank. The adults were removed from it. The larvae did very well on Daphnia. He almost raised them all...

merk199

Reaction score
If I had the extra tank resources that is what I would do. Raise them in a mature tank after pulling the adult frogs. Since I stop pulling the juvies I have left them in tank to do what they do naturally. I have noticed that the are outliving the ones I tried to raise by 7-10 days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1